800ltr Marine tank Journal

si_sphinx

So its time to start this thread as its been a long time coming.

A bit of work has been done last weekend, moving this tank into its new position in my lounge. Thanks to those who helped :thup:

This tank use to be my planted tank. I have been working on it since getting rid of the last of my plecs on Saturday, cleaning and waterproofing beneath the stand to prevent future floods, painting the back of the tank blue. Re-plumbing the return pipes, valves etc.

I have been cycling the rock in a drum since mid November so It should hopefully make cycling the tank easier.

Old open fireplace removed and space prepared for the tank

IMG_1448_zpsf6b58f45.jpg

Tank in place and painted

IMG_1449_zps6a90f032.jpg

IMG_1450_zps5b21315a.jpg

Coral Rock cleaned

IMG_20121104_165639_zps62b3bc73.jpg

Rock in drum to cycle

IMG_20121118_161136_zps98bd5386.jpg

IMG_20121118_161112_zpsdbe17db3.jpg

More photos will come as more progress is made :cofn:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point.

I have a 4200lph pump on it. I haven't tried it with the loc-line fittings yet. They are 1/2' fittings and I have 2 outlets, I can add another 2 outlets if it is restricted too much.

Or maybe I could tee off the return and have the loc-line off one and open off another?

Your thoughts?

Went and collect 600ltrs of NSW today.

High tide was 7am so was up early. It takes 1/2hr to get to the beach (25kms) takes 15mins to fill my 200ltr drum then 1/2hr home again.

I finished at 12 noon.

It was a very windy and rough morning at tiwai.

IMG_1457_zps6405fae8.jpg

I am still waiting for the tank to heat up so in the mean time I put in the sump with its new layout and filled it with ASW.

Filled the refugium with Sand and coral rubble.

When the tank is up to temp I will add all my pre-cycled rock and get the water levels up to start the return pump.

IMG_1467_zps77d383e6.jpg

IMG_1461_zps68287697.jpg

I still have to raise the skimmer to get the water level in the right place for it.

I'm no good with anything marine but as far as aquascaping goes, you could try putting your focal point 1/3 the way across the tank. I'm guessing this is the gap between the rock piles? Could look more appealing, couldn't hurt to try :wink:

I'm no good with anything marine but as far as aquascaping goes, you could try putting your focal point 1/3 the way across the tank. I'm guessing this is the gap between the rock piles? Could look more appealing, couldn't hurt to try :wink:

Yea that was my thought as well after I was looking at it for a while.