How do I get rid of an invader?

Caryl

Sophia NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! &c:ry

Gain its trust, Donna says

When you can get close throw it some food and gain its trust, Donna says

Yeah Right!

No idea where it came from. I suspect a neighbour is missing a turtle. Might do a letterbox drop around the neighbourhood. It probably came across the small reserve that backs onto our place so possibly from one of the houses that way. I will start over there. If I find the owner then they can catch it!

Donna assures me it won't eat the big fish but I am concerned for the fry. I will throw some snails back in (I had been saving them in another pond for when someone heads to ChCh, for Donna's turtles).

There is too much plant to net it without getting entangled. If I could be reassured it would leave small fish and fry alone I would just leave it there :dunno:

i saw on the news a while ago some lady down in the SI had like a turtle rescue thing going on, she had heaps of them roaming around her section, most being unwanted pets. track her down?

despite the name, i was surprised to see a turtle in turtle lake in the hamilton gardens. it was huge. can they breed in the wild here?

I believe you are referring to Donna, the turtle lady. I have indeed been talking to Donna but do not expect her to come up here to catch a turtle, nor do I wish to burden her with another one when she has enough difficulties caring for the ones she now has!

It is my understanding it is too cold in most of NZ for them to breed in the wild. Most you see are unwanted pets that have been dumped :an!gry

I put my turtle out in my pond everyday, he's a very friendly wee guy though and comes up to me when i stand at the side of the pond, but when i need to get him out at night and he's gone to deep I just net him out. Hmm you may have problems seeing as your plants are so thick. I would try the net approach when hes up like in your picture, .. and be quick about it :D

DOH!! just actually 'read' this thread, yes i think netting is out of the question, your plants are to thick and he would just scarper as soon as he saw you.

My turtle is fine with fish, but he has been raised from day one with different kinds of fish. However my brothers red ear is a killing machine will catch and eat anything in his tank, so i suspose it depends on how friendly it is, keep it feed so it's not bothered. good luck.