again, why.....

F15hguy

some people have NO idea! but it is ok though because fish don't actually have feelings like people do they! *sigh*

That's a line in a Nirvana song: "It's ok to eat fish, cos fish don't have any feelings"

We recognise facial expressions and/or sounds for distress. Fish don't "seem" to depict either, hence the assumption.

Still concerned about the goldfish at my gym but they "look healthy" so what can you do? :fshi:

I just bought a tank off a girl I met because I felt so bad for the inhabitants. She had an angel in with neons, of course the angel only had stubs left all it's fins had been nipped off :o . The girl also told me how awesome her filter is (it was pretty standard, I have a similar one for my smaller tank) and that she only changes the water once ever 6 months or a year!!! :an!gry and when she does change the water she changes it all and puts the fish in the bath while she does it!! &c:ry It was horrible you could hardly see the fish and they didn't move, were pale in colour and gasping at the surface. She didn't even have the filter running. Any way I am doing what I can for them and the angel is starting to regrow it's fins, he is now named miracle. The pleco is actually being fed rather than only having to scavenge and they are all getting their colour back and swim around much more now, they come up to greet you when you walk into the room. A bit of an expensive resuce mission and I don't really have the room for it but I couldn't leave it there knowing about the treatment they were getting.

...and when she does change the water she changes it all and puts the fish in the bath while she does it!! &c:ry

Many... many... many, years ago, when I was a wee lad, I used to do the same thing with my Goldfish. I genuinely thought they enjoyed swimming around in the 'massive' bath compared to their tiny glass prison. No filter or anything either back then on my tank. I used to change the water about once a month when the tank got dirty and the weed had grown so much there was not much space left for them to swim. But the fish didn't seem to mind. I had them for 2 years before I ended up giving them away to a friend. IIRC the originals were still alive too. Maybe the fish were a bit hardier back then.

And she couldn't understand why all the fish kept dying :facepalm: . We need to educate people! :sage: The poo in the bottom of the tank was about an inch deep, more in some places. I would take pics but don't have a camera, next on the to buy list. By the time I do get a camera they should be looking really great. I don't know if the angel's fins will ever reach thier full potential but I have high hopes for the lill survivors.

Good on you! Personally I am surprised that there was any fish alive in there with that bad type of conditions, especially the neons!

She got a new batch of neons cause the rasbora's died and she had neons before but amazingly they died as well as the female angel and loads of guppies, I mean come on if the guppies were dying I'm amazed there was any life in there. Fish can be amazingly resilient but that doesn't mean we should put them in conditions that test that relisience to the limit. :an!gry

Sorry this whole episode really got to me poor poor things.