Coldwater Iwagumi

SamH

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a water change tonight as the water reeked of dead shrimp, hopefully this doesn't cause the rest to die especially cause I'm off to Napier until Thursday. I also learned that minnows are damn stupid and swim right up to the siphon tube, three of them did this but seem to have gotten away with just minor dizziness. Will need to rig a net up to the end of my old gravel vac.

i've had a few of my 50 or so die off already, some died within hours of being added to the tank, few more over the last week, but most of them are still there prancing around like the weird little aliens they are.. they love eating hikari carnivore pellets. the shrimp will grab a crumb, run off to the other side of the tank and hide away from the fish to devour it. gobys and bullies are cleaning out the carcasses of the dead shrimp, just leaving shells.

anyway. tank has not gone over 22, usually sits around 20-21.

what's the lifespan of dem shrimpy brothers anyway? i assume that in the wild many shrimp don't make it to womanhood (aka adulthood) anyway.

I can't remember. I didn't notice them growing though they were bigger than the ones we caught the other day by the time the last ones died.

If shrimp shed their skin when they grow then yes they did grow, many a time I thought I had a dead shrimp but it was only a shell.

• 2 weeks later...

Neglected the tank a bit over the past half month, gave the sides a good clean with a dish washing brush and a toothbrush so I can actually see inside the tank now :o Algae seems to stay on the glass and rocks, moss and hairgrass both doing VERY well :D

IMG_8717b_zpsb961f259.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys! Not keen on how the rock work is being hidden by the hair grass, if I could grow glosso then I think that would be a better choice for this tank. Or stronger rock work of course :lol:

Thanks for the feedback guys! Not keen on how the rock work is being hidden by the hair grass, if I could grow glosso then I think that would be a better choice for this tank. Or stronger rock work of course :lol:

Time to get out the scissors then Sam!

• 3 weeks later...