Hello from West Auckland

Jeffish

I kept tropical fish in my youth (about 50 years ago!) but these days stick to goldfish outdoors.

Our rectangular pond is 2.8m long, 0.8m wide and 0.4m deep with a net volume of about 900 litres. Set up in 2006 with a black plastic liner, planted with sagittaria and a couple of waterlilies, filtration by an Oase Filtral 5000.

It is in full sun but a large kanuka tree (excellent kingfisher perch!) alongside provides afternoon shade. As does some oi oi which overhangs the pond at one end and is also growing in the pond.

I do have a few problems which members hopefully may be able to give me some advice on:

Excessive algae growth which has not been knocked back by Clear Pond 'Pond Clean' (simazine) treatment.

Have lost one or two fish to dropsy - is overfeeding a likely factor here? :nilly:

Maybe leave it at that for a first post - so happy to have found this excellent forum!

:wave: I was a youth once too - about 45 years ago :gigl:

I thought oi oi was what you shouted while waving your arms to scare off the kingfisher! :slfg:

If you look in the coldwater section you will see my threads about setting up my pond, also in 2006. There is a link to the photos taken during the build, and updates since.

How much of the surface is covered by plants? Afternoon shade may not be enough and over feeding plus excess sun may both be culprits in aiding algal growth. It is suggested 50% - 75% of the surface should be covered in plants.

Thanks for all the helpful comments!

Plant cover is around 50%.

Oi oi is a common native reed which will grow just about anywhere. Interestingly the kingfisher has made off with only one small goldfish to our knowledge - most of them are too large. That's my theory anyway. The kanuka tree is currently being visited by a magpie, which the local tui mafia are very upset about. Hopefully magpies don't go fishing.

Yes I have been feeding nearly every day, even in winter, so I'm going to cut back. Just been away for a holiday and they didn't seem to be starving after a week of enforced algae eating.

Caryl I will have a look at your pond pics and maybe upload some of my own, if I can figure out how...

You need a site online that allows linking (Flickr, Photobucket etc) so you put them in there then link to them. Can't do it directly from pics on your computer.

There's nothing wrong with daily feeding (it is a chance to admire the fish and check for damage, illness and stuff) but perhaps cut back the amount you feed.

I feed mine in summer, when I think of it, but otherwise they eat whatever drops in, or grows in, the pond. In winter they semi-hibernate but not sure if it gets cold enough in Auckland. They should not be fed if the water temp is 10C or below as their digestive systems shut down at lower temps.

• 2 months later...