Unknown freshwater issue

brett2003

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and at this point does it matter if it is a bacteria or disease? i am referring to it as "disease" because there is no real other term to use when dealing with an unknown cause of fish deaths that is spreading, likely has one root source (?) and is resulting in so many deaths.

please let me know if there is a more appropriate term to use when talking about an unknown issue. perhaps we should call it "spontaneous fish combustion/death" as disgustipated suggested to me the other day.

I am in central Auckland and in the last six months have purchased well over 100 fish - none of whom have died from the symptoms mentioned, however several died by being sucked in through an incorrectly attached filter strainer.

Perhaps if a group of you get together and when the next fish dies, refrigerate it immediately, take it to a vet and ask them to send it to Gribbles Pathology Lab for virology and bacteriology reports.

It will cost vet fees and laboratory charges but if you are really concerned it will be a small price to pay for peace of mind.

my CPDs were a combination of fish bred by a friend, fish I bred myself and about 6 that were purchased.

Also I don't seperate my equipment from tank to tank, it's all the same nets and buckets, so theoretically I have spread it everywhere but the fish don't all die.

My view is that unless we know for certain that something has been caused by something else we shouldn't say that it 'must' have come from a particular source. I guess the difference is actual or direct evidence versus circumstantial.

sounds expensive.

if there is enough evidence that there is an unknown issue and it is killing fish, will MAF or some other government department look into it, as in pay for the autopsy? disease on a large scale should be concern for MAF or whoever is in charge of ensuring disease doesn't spread to our native fish? imagine this breaking out into our native fish... i'm gonna guess that most of these 50+ dead fish have been flushed down the loo or buried in the garden.....

These are sudden fish deaths, which is not typical for Mycobacterium marinum which is a chronic wasting disease. So, if there is something killing your fish, it's going to be a bit harder to diagnose.

Perhaps HFF might pay for the testing if everyone has sourced their fish from them?

These are sudden fish deaths, which is not typical for Mycobacterium marinum which is a chronic wasting disease. So, if there is something killing your fish, it's going to be a bit harder to diagnose.

Perhaps HFF might pay for the testing if everyone has sourced their fish from them?

Perhaps you should read the entire thread before posting! This way you would know.

But they haven't all sourced their fish from them.

Very true - mine come from three diff stores, and the other two tanks (with fish from the same three stores) are absolutely fine. I think we were (well, I was?) just raising it as a possibility - I don't want to malign any particular store since most of the stock seems fine - it's just this one d***ed tank :(

Very true - mine come from three diff stores, and the other two tanks (with fish from the same three stores) are absolutely fine. I think we were (well, I was?) just raising it as a possibility - I don't want to malign any particular store since most of the stock seems fine - it's just this one d***ed tank :(

I will throw this out there and see what you think. Have you checked that your tank heater is maintaining the tank at the temp you believe it is? Do you do hot or cold water changes?

all off us bar one have purchased fish form one or all of 3 shops.

I don't think any of us have said it MUST have been from one store, or person - but that logically there must be some link we have between us? its all speculation - and untill anyone can concussively tell me what the source is, and any prevention and treatment i can use I'm going to continue to speculate.

I will throw this out there and see what you think. Have you checked that your tank heater is maintaining the tank at the temp you believe it is? Do you do hot or cold water changes?

Good point, but it seems to be! Nice and stable at 26 - 27°C, two therms :)

Re: water changes, I do cold but it doesn't seem to have a huge impact on the overall temp (I guess water *in* is a small proportion to water still in the tank, if you see what I mean)

over the year that i have had this issue i have checked literally everything to ensure that the issue is not an oversight.

it's hardly likely that all of us coincidentally have exactly the same technical issue....

mine have had no relation to water changes that i can see. some deaths were pre water change, some days after.

deaths are all well within 24 hours of noticing a fish looking off - mostly within 4-6 hours.

Perhaps you should read the entire thread before posting! This way you would know.

Might be all from the same importer .... or the putative infection has been transferred from one fish purchased from the common store, to other fish in the tank. But hey, I just deal with human disease including looks like some grumpy ones.

Might be all from the same importer .... or the putative infection has been transferred from one fish purchased from the common store, to other fish in the tank. But hey, I just deal with human disease including looks like some grumpy ones.

but if it were from one importer surely it would be more widespread than the north shore? or even just auckland members?

And it was suggested that it were from one source store - but there was objection to suggesting as such.