November 21, 201213 yr comment_509374 Hey guys, I'm new to the brine shrimp game, so new in fact I haven't bought anything. My first question is, what do I need to buy to hatch brine shrimp? And I mean everything, eggs, hatcher, etc. My second question is, what brand of egg mix is best? Thirdly, are there any issues with feeding Betta fry brine shrimp? Thanks! Report
November 21, 201213 yr comment_509381 just buy eggs you probably have everything at hand to hatch them laser it on trademe sells eggs with an excellent hatch rate Report
November 21, 201213 yr Author comment_509382 you probably have everything at hand to hatch them Oh no doubt, we don't throw anything out :nilly: Care to elaborate on what it is I need? Report
November 21, 201213 yr comment_509386 Use decapsulated brine shrimp. No work, no waste, a third cheaper and more nutritious - but less fun to watch ... JaSa Report
November 21, 201213 yr comment_509388 A 2 litre soft drink bottle Airline tubing and air pump and a control valve salt or sea water brineshrimp eggs Fighter frys will love the bbs. I fed all my fighter frys and baby fighter with bbs. Ron Report
November 21, 201213 yr Author comment_509389 Thanks Ron! Great to hear some first hand advice from the Betta guru Report
November 21, 201213 yr comment_509393 i was about to tell you to talk to ronnie. he's the willie wonka of brine shrimp. Report
November 21, 201213 yr comment_509421 http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/grumpy ... shrimp.htm Theres a good way to raise BBS here Sam. Report
November 27, 201213 yr Author comment_510323 Here's the issue I'm having with my current set up. Anyone know how to solve this? Report
November 27, 201213 yr comment_510324 Take off the airstone. Just use the tube. To be honest, I find it a pain to use those upside down bottles. I haven't found a foolproof method to make sure it stays upside down without my cats knocking it over. I just use a glass bottle, dump in water out of my marine tank and some eggs, pop a bubbler with an airstone on it and put it on the windowsill. 36 hours later, BBS! Descaps are ok, but it's great to see the fish demonstrating their natural hunting mechanisms and chasing them down. Report
November 27, 201213 yr comment_510326 get a pvc downpipe holder the right size and screw it onto the wall, bottle sits fine, use two if you have cats or small children Report
November 27, 201213 yr comment_510327 get a pvc downpipe holder the right size and screw it onto the wall, bottle sits fine, use two if you have cats or small children I rent, can't be screwing pipe to my kitchen wall sadly. Report
November 27, 201213 yr comment_510331 ahhhh, I know the pain, what about those removable hooks and some string???? Report
November 28, 201213 yr Author comment_510335 I sit my upside down bottle inside the bottom of another identical bottle like this: It creates a snug fit and solid base to hold it upright Also, removing the airstone has put more into circulation thanks Report
November 28, 201213 yr comment_510337 Thanks, but I'm happy with my glass jar. Easier to clean too, I just pop it in the dishwasher. Report
December 19, 201213 yr comment_513236 I rent as well so I just make 4 small holes around the bottom of the bottle (top when upside down) string nylon through and use the clip thing from my swivels in the tackle box to clip the loops together and hang it in the hot water cupboard, easy as pie. On that note, was rather surprised when I dumped some bbs I'd had lying around in storage for 2 1/2 years and they actually hatched! Rate is probably less than when I bought them about 4 years ago but still of use yay! Report
December 19, 201213 yr comment_513289 I rent as well so I just make 4 small holes around the bottom of the bottle (top when upside down) string nylon through and use the clip thing from my swivels in the tackle box to clip the loops together and hang it in the hot water cupboard, easy as pie. On that note, was rather surprised when I dumped some bbs I'd had lying around in storage for 2 1/2 years and they actually hatched! Rate is probably less than when I bought them about 4 years ago but still of use yay! I'm using eggs that are probably 3-4 years old too, and they're doing pretty well. I was impressed! Report
December 20, 201213 yr comment_513333 Just wondering, once hatched, how do you separate out the bbs from the un-hatched eggs and casings? Report
December 20, 201213 yr comment_513338 Casings float, unhatched eggs sink, brine shrimp suspend themselves in the water. Report
December 20, 201213 yr comment_513340 Yea I remembered that, I more meant that I scoop the casings off the top of the water but then I still have unhatched eggs in the bottom and all along the slopped sides of the bottle and was wondering what method people use to get the bbs out whilst getting as few unhatched eggs as possible. I currently just let it all settle for a couple hours then unhook the airhose and drain the water through a coffee filter but I'm still getting some of the unhatched eggs. Report
December 20, 201213 yr comment_513357 you just need to siphon a little slower then, or have the airline slightly higher in the water column. I do it the same way and dont think i suck up the eggs anymore Report
December 20, 201213 yr comment_513360 i put a light on one side to attract bbs to it and syphon from there Report
December 20, 201213 yr comment_513369 I use the coke bottle method and put duct tape around the whole bottle except the bottom, to harvest, just cover open end and shine a light near the bottom, eggs float bbs swim down to syphon outlet Report
December 21, 201213 yr comment_513461 Cheers guys, that is all pretty close to what I'm doing, I guess it's just practice now till I get the technique sussed. Report
December 31, 201213 yr comment_514569 this is my setup and I use a pipette to collect the 'crevettes' to feed them to the Axolotl larvas (big tadpoles love them too)... (we have very chlorinated water here in Naseby so I use 3 bottles, one is always running with just salted water for at least one day) Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.