New Fish Species Discovered:

Dachende

Yeah, they are supposedly working on doing the same to convict cichlids at the moment. They were offered over $4400 usd each for them but couldn't sell them legally yet or something as they are genetically engineered. I would love to get my hands on around 6 of them. Too bad that they will probably never be available for the private collector !drool:

If you had different colours for different types of fish , man - what an effect that would give in an unlit tank or with moonlighting.

I think if we wait around long enough they may become available - a lot of laws that many people thought would never change have changed substantially over recent times, wouldn't surprise me if GM laws changed down the road a bit too

Gm and dyed fish are banned from import and likely to stay that way for a while yet I would think.

and thank goodness for that!! Hang some glowsticks in your room if you want a trippy effect after dark, with naturally occurring attractive new species like the ones in the first post being discovered all the time the last thing we need to do is turn animals into some sort of novelty decoration...

Gm and dyed fish are banned from import and likely to stay that way for a while yet I would think. So long as MPI have the nouse to know what is GM.

You don't think the way things change over time the government won't relax GM laws ?

I'm glad we have strong anti GM laws, but I don't think it will stay that way for my entire lifetime.

I remember not so long ago that GM products were banned from entering NZ full stop , you only need to check the MPI site to see how much GM product actually makes it into NZ.

And that is only the stuff they found - which is probably less than 50% knowing MPI.

The way Monsanto is going worldwide, it wouldn't surprise me if it was sooner rather than later.