Fish for in turtle pond

calculator

For the last 4ish years I have had 3 gold fish in my turtle pond to eat mosquitos, turtles leftovers and other pest, but now they have grown to large and the turtles are now nipping there fins. I am thinking of getting rid of them now (sell/trade/giveway), And am thinking of putting some other fish in there to do the same job as they are.

I was thinking try with some new small gold fish, or a small fish like guppies that could bread in there so that even if eaten they replace them selfs, what other options do I have?

The pond is 2m*1m by 0.5m deep, about 750l once I take out for steps.

Heres a few bad quality photos from my phone (taken when they were in a tank while I am cleaning the pond out):

14112012237.jpg

14112012238.jpg

14112012239.jpg

lol, why is it that fish that survive in turtle ponds are the fattest and most colourful specimens.

I dont know about most colourful, but they are fat because they steal the turtles food, maybe the turtle food is good for colour to.

Leopard fish should be ok, minnows might do ok as well... they tend to drop eggs constantly and a few survive.

I will have a look at these, but would the water temperature in aucklands winter get to cold for minnows?

I am not worried about new fish getting caught as my turtles arn't great hunters (although they some how manage to catch birds occasionally.

Just measured the gold fish now, the largest is 15cm, the smallest 12 cm (excluding tails).

im gonna have heaps of leopard fish to sell soon, just got another 30-40 fry last weekend

But your in Tauranga, that is a long way for me to travel for to get a few 'disposable' fish for my pond.

Minnows thrive outside in AKL in my experience.

Get 10+ of them and they'll be breeding in no time at all.

Thanks Dr A, that is what I think I will do, now to get rid of the gold fish...

i have had convict cichlids survive in an outdoor tank over winter here in auckland. they even bred.

danios or mountain minnows would be your best bet.

but... why not just get more (small) goldfish?

Considered more gold fish, but I have already had them, and I want something different.

• 3 months later...

Well every few weeks/months in summer I come to the pond to see the turtles fighting over a bird carcas, often mostly torn up by the time I see it, so I can only assume they caught it. I also see bird diving in the water under my waterfall, which is where my turtles like to lurk at time, so I assume they catch them there.