I'm new here.Nice to meet you NZ!

Immortal.R

I looked into whether it was possible to import chameleons as I know Auckland zoo had some, found a report on a bunch or reptiles that were investigated for import, and the biggest factor stopping them is diseases that would threaten or wipe out out native reptiles. The other factor was that The are extremely expensive to get and then transport to NZ.

Welcome to NZ.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cmon guys. us kiwis are lucky to have anything that isn't native to or been established in nz for hundreds of years. MAF/council doesn't have to let anything come in if they didn't feel like it, what do they care about the hobbyist? yet we have thousands of types of non nz fish, a decent selection of non nz reptiles, birds and mammals... personally i think we are lucky that authorities are catering to hobbyists in any way at all!!

another reason not to complain is that - we all love our little country, it's uniqueness, the fragility our native flora and fauna is something we can never lose sight of! none of us would ever do anything intentionally to harm our ecosystem.. and even a tiny risk of that happening is a huge risk, imo..

count your blessings for they are abundant...!

It can be very hard on people coming here from countries where you can own just about any pet you fancy. I met a family from England that had to leave their tortoises behind, from the USA where they had a zoo by our standards, and Asia where pretty much anything goes. It would be hard to see the restrictions here. Thems the breaks---lots of other things to compensate.

border security in general here has pretty strict controls on anything organic be it a living animal or even plant matter and fruit.We have an agricultural based economy so thats the way it has to be.It amazes me some of the things i see people trying to bring in on the border control program despite the warning signs and amnesty bins?

Ive been having a look at the http://www.kingsnake.com/ website as mentioned by the original poster there is an amazing range of Amphibians and Reptiles on there not to mention some very deadly ones as well its a scary thought that animals such as these going to the homes of the highest bidder and the sellers promoting world wide postage.Having spent most of my working life in feral pest control and as a doc ranger I have seen first hand the devastation that the predators we do have here (Cats,Rats,Stoats,Ferrets) have cause i would hate to see any thing that may harm our unique ecosystems we have here in New Zealand.I do agree with others here that we are lucky to have some wonderful fish,reptiles and amphibians that we can own and there are plenty of animal parks and aquimums around the country to see the ones we cant have at home

Ive been having a look at the http://www.kingsnake.com/ website as mentioned by the original poster there is an amazing range of Amphibians and Reptiles on there not to mention some very deadly ones as well its a scary thought that animals such as these going to the homes of the highest bidder and the sellers promoting world wide postage.Having spent most of my working life in feral pest control and as a doc ranger I have seen first hand the devastation that the predators we do have here (Cats,Rats,Stoats,Ferrets) have cause i would hate to see any thing that may harm our unique ecosystems we have here in New Zealand.I do agree with others here that we are lucky to have some wonderful fish,reptiles and amphibians that we can own and there are plenty of animal parks and aquimums around the country to see the ones we cant have at home

is there anywhere in NZ that is allowed/authorised to keep snakes?

i would love to handle one... but i would not love to go to australia to do it....

There certainly are not any legal snakes in NZ. I hate to think how many people have privately though, having successfully smuggled them in at some point. :-?

We got to handle Josie the python when we were in the UK. They feel nice and smooth - and warm.