Plus and minus of black silcone

myfishybuisness

comparing the black silicone on my juwel tank to the clear silicone on my nz made tanks: the black silicone frames the viewing panels as has already been said, and it's so cleanly done it looks like a machine did it. If the black had been done the same way as the normal nz made ones are, it would look rough. I think only get black if you can be assured of a perfect finish, not a smudgy 1cm line of silicone down each side of the glass.

. I think only get black if you can be assured of a perfect finish, not a smudgy 1cm line of silicone down each side of the glass.

+1 all the black silicone jobs i have seen have looked a bit dodgy and somewhat out of place. thats ofcourse may of been because of the tank format not the silicone it self

It doesn't matter how far the silicone comes out, regardless of tank size, what matters is what is in between the glass. Greg should be able to do it tidily, but it may add to the cost as it would probably need to be masked to prevent it from being smeared all over the glass like they do with the clear [which turns ugly and white] stuff, you want a nice straight edge as it will be more visible, but still better looking IMO. I'm going to go black with my next tank, I hate the way old white silicone looks!

Good luck selling the breeding set up, hope to see some action soon, would be cool to have three 1000L+ builds taking place at the same time (you, myself and Henward).

It doesn't matter how far the silicone comes out, regardless of tank size, what matters is what is in between the glass. Greg should be able to do it tidily, but it may add to the cost as it would probably need to be masked to prevent it from being smeared all over the glass like they do with the clear [which turns ugly and white] stuff, you want a nice straight edge as it will be more visible, but still better looking IMO. I'm going to go black with my next tank, I hate the way old white silicone looks!

Good luck selling the breeding set up, hope to see some action soon, would be cool to have three 1000L+ builds taking place at the same time (you, myself and Henward).

Yeah I've seen Greg mask it off. My one looke very tidy and I was really happy with it. Greg has made a few tanks for me now and I have always been happy with the work he has done.

Thanks, maybe looking for some advice from you guys about sump setup, overflow etc

But ill ask that closer to the time

Thanks, maybe looking for some advice from you guys about sump setup, overflow etc

But ill ask that closer to the time

I'm thinking about not running a sump on mine this time round.....

But yeah, when the time comes ask away, learned plenty the first time round I would do differently this time.

Im thinking a 200- 250l sump plus a couple of aquaone 2700, since its guna have medium to high stocking

The canisters could be useful for additional mechanical, but also mean extra cleaning. If I were going for a sump on a tank that size I'd want it to be the sole method of filtration, I'm looking at a glass filter (looks like a pool filter but filled with recycled glass media) which runs as a closed loop, does mechanical and biological and can be backwashed in a matter of minutes, which drains your tank for a water change at the same time as cleaning the filter. $500US + the pump seems pretty good, only downside is it weighs ~100lbs so shipping may be a killer!