8 months from the beginning till now updated 9/6/13

Adrienne

Two weeks on from the rearranging and after a serious trim today, where I removed about 15 large leaves of the Horemani sword and trimmed the other two swords, I feel the tank is nearly how I want it. The glosso needs to spread further. I have added a second power head to the left of the tank to give some water movement on that side of the tank.

Pics -

DSC08027_zpse8348ed5.jpg

DSC08028_zps14f71935.jpg

DSC08015_zps898dfd70.jpg

DSC08013_zpsec611059.jpg

DSC08022_zps9fd1ac76.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

11 weeks since the last photos were posted and a few changes, yet again. The magdalensis chain sword produced hundreds of new pups, until the tank was taken over. I have removed all but a few around the sides and back of the tank and have let the glosso take over the tank. The large sword at the right rear of the tank has been removed and instead the rotala is being allowed to grow. The anubias nana petite has doubled in size, as has the gloss bush (sorry I do not know what the correct name is) which I trim at least twice a week.

In the last three weeks I have battled a major algae outbreak in the tank - an algae which covered the top of the tank, a bit like a green greasy slick. It then bubbled and attached around the edge of the tank and to the large horemani sword leaves on the tank surface. On googling I discovered that this algae was caused by no nitrates in the tank and my nitrate test confirmed this. Puzzled at first, I discussed this with a friend and came to the conclusion that the huge growth of the horemani (I trim at least 8 leaves off a week) was sucking all the fertiliser out of the substrate and nitrates out of the tank. I began to dose excel comprehensive at the rate of 5ml per 40 litres of water each day, increased the surface movement of the water and within three days it began to reduce. Three days ago I began EID (Tom Barr) and the tank is now crystal clear and I can already see more plant growth.

Pics -

IMG_0560_zpsc0b9dadb.jpg

IMG_0575_zps1f428b21.jpg

IMG_0570_zpsaab38901.jpg

IMG_0571_zpse328a78b.jpg

IMG_0572_zps99c476c1.jpg

IMG_0574_zpsaf8c6018.jpg

Neither does he, he was borrowing my Mum's lens :lol: Pity he didn't take a FTS!

lol - I was thinking the same about the full tank shot. I will use my point and shoot for a full tank shot - it seems to work way better. My biggest issue with the full tank is that the strength of tank lights turns everything lime green under camera. It looks so much better than when you were all here, can't wait to see what its like after a couple of weeks of the new dosing regime.