*WARNING* SOUTH AUCKLAND AREA COVER UR PONDS.

Babyruby

TO THOSE OF YOU IN THE SOUTH AUCKLAND AREA WITH OUTDOOR PONDS, BEWARE THERE IS A WHITE FACED HERON ON THE PROWL, PLEASE COVER ALL YOUR PONDS. I JUST LOST OVER 80 YOUNG AND BABY GOLDFISH YESTERDAY AFTERNOON AND LAST NIGHT.

THIS BIRD IS NOW STALKING MY ADULT FISH WHO ARE COVERED SO THEY ARE SAFE.

PLEASE PASS THIS MESSAGE ON AS NEEDED.

Don't get me wrong... I love all animals... just happen to love Herons more than I do goldfish.

A heron eating goldfish is just nature at work (food chain and all that) and in that case I'm rooting for the Herons.

It's nothing personal and I do feel sorry for you if you have lost fish you cared about.

Appologies if I have offended you.

:an!gry do you have no soul, goldfish are living animals just like any other fish, don't be so pig headed

just keep in mind herons are living animals to and are higher up the food chain than the fish, just like the fish are higher up the food chain than insect larvae or what ever else natural the gold fish are eating in the pond.

Fair enough to protect your fish with netting because you want to retain them and good luck continuing to do so but it's just a predator eating it's prey. A lot like us eating meat really.

Unfortunately they are classed as Native as ("self introduced") ex aussie.... otherwise you could shoot it..

Nice bird all the same. A goldfish farm I used to work for some time back had this same problem... Shags were the worst.

Sorry to hear Babyruby. Nice of you to warn others.

Hovmoller.. what a stupid comment :roll:

Unfortunately they are classed as Native as ("self introduced") ex aussie.... otherwise you could shoot it..

Nice bird all the same. A goldfish farm I used to work for some time back had this same problem... Shags were the worst.

Sorry to hear Babyruby. Nice of you to warn others.

Hovmoller.. what a stupid comment :roll:

nothing worse than a bad shag

We had a blue heron attempt to go for our goldfish once. Luckily we saw it and chased it away before managing to cover the pond before it was successful. It hasn't come back since as the surrounding plants have grown higher than the fence so there is nowhere for the bird to perch then land to go fishing :happy2: