Any mechanics on the forum?

the new guy

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

humm i supouse you had air tools and a hoist..?

Only use the rattle gun once for undoing the axle hub nut. The rest is by hand, even lifting the gearbox back in.

The Internet is invaluable for fixing cars now. If you get stuck with something, someone somewhere will also have had the same problem and either asked or documented the solution. Should be plenty of write ups on how to replace an auto trams. If you can't google it, I'd doesn't exist.

yep.. ive being in the trade now for 25 years,,i love it when a home mechanic fix something thats over the net,,when it comes in for a wof..

nuts lose.slip pins missing,,then a month later ,,coming into you..my clucth is slipping,or something knocking..,i replace it a month ago..you check it out and they put the plate the wrong way,,or strip bolts etc,,etc,,etc,,, :roll: some things should be left in some who know what they doing.. :o :spop:

yes, but then again, my dad taught me "if you can't fix it, you shouldn't own it"

also taught me that to "fix" meant knowing what you are doing.

I can bodge just about anything, but I can also fix something properly. I think that "you need a qualification" to be able to do something is a bit sad considering half the people with qualifications couldn't do anything without a manual anyways

yes, but then again, my dad taught me "if you can't fix it, you shouldn't own it"

also taught me that to "fix" meant knowing what you are doing.

I can bodge just about anything, but I can also fix something properly. I think that "you need a qualification" to be able to do something is a bit sad considering half the people with qualifications couldn't do anything without a manual anyways

Ive always grown up in a family with not a lot of money so I learnt to fix things.

Sounds cheaper to fix!

My daughter fears she has blown a head gasket &c:ry

Blown headgaskets aren't too bad, not good - but there are a lot worse (and alot more expensive) things that can go wrong. Depending on the car, in many instances you can get away with simply having the headgasket replaced and the cylinder head skimmed to ensure it hasn't warped.

Look under the oil cap and see if there is a milky or frothy substance on it.. that - along with overheating can sometimes indicate a blown headgasket. But any half decent mechanic can perform a couple simple tests which confirms if a headgasket is blown or not :)

changed the CV boots in the CR-X in the weekend.... WORST JOB EVER!!!!

stoopid design means that you have to remove the entire suspension assembly to pull out shaft to replace boot.

next weekend it will be the mazda.... remove hub, remove boot, put new boot on...

changed the CV boots in the CR-X in the weekend.... WORST JOB EVER!!!!

stoopid design means that you have to remove the entire suspension assembly to pull out shaft to replace boot.

next weekend it will be the mazda.... remove hub, remove boot, put new boot on...

You can actually get "split" CV boots nowadays, which fold around the CV and have a puzzle piece edge that you force together to seal it (still use clamps as well though). Saves a lot of heartache/time/swearing!!