anyone with a good idea for a rabbit trap ?

aotealotl

I have lots of rabbits on my lawn and it drives my dogs crazy (but can't let them go after them or they will chase them thru the whole village) I would like to trap them so I can use them as dog food (or maybe even for a rabbit rost) so I can't just poisen them (can't just shoot them neither). anyone with an idea for a good and easy to build but efficient trap ? thanks.

I have lots of rabbits on my lawn and it drives my dogs crazy (but can't let them go after them or they will chase them thru the whole village) I would like to trap them so I can use them as dog food (or maybe even for a rabbit rost) so I can't just poisen them (can't just shoot them neither). anyone with an idea for a good and easy to build but efficient trap ? thanks.

You need to...

cz452.JPG

Oh, wait, can't shoot them...Why not?

as I did understand it, he was talking about handling the air rifle. not leave it standing around loaded and such.

Yes, I do have my license. And as far as I can tell the law does not require air guns, other than maybe PCPs, to be disassembled and locked in a safe at all times.

I'm sure "Grab airgun, load, cock, shoot" is more likely to be successful than "grab keys, open safe, get gun. Go to other safe, grab bolt, go to other room, get ammo, put bolt in gun, load ammo, go try and find where the rabbit went. I've tried it, they don't hang around forever.

Was just talking about the "leaving it laying around" until you needed it business. Some of those air rifles will kill a kid as easily as any other fire arm. Air rifle still a good option for the unlicensed though if the rabbits are in reasonable range (20-30m for an amateur with a cheap rifle/ scope combo.

Snares/ traps can be a bit dodgy but check this thread out if you have time. http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1326361890/13#13

Was just talking about the "leaving it laying around" until you needed it business. Some of those air rifles will kill a kid as easily as any other fire arm.

Sure they will, but you need to train your pets not to load the gun and shoot themselves with it. And if your pet does and dies then you've eliminated a stupid one and can hopefully replace it with a smarter one.

Sure they will, but you need to train your pets not to load the gun and shoot themselves with it. And if your pet does and dies then you've eliminated a stupid one and can hopefully replace it with a smarter one.

I think you have a different definition of "pets" then everyone else Ira.....

those 1000fps air rifles should be classed the same as a .22 rimfire when it comes to licensing etc IMO

i had a crossman phantom 1000fps and shot a lot of possums and did get a couple of bunnies with it to. You really need to get close to what ever your shooting with a slug gun, ideally within 30m i reckon for it to be effective and be able to place the shot well. Head shots are too difficult with such a light weight pellet, always aim for the chest to hit the heart and lungs to make sure you secure the animal. A .22 rimfire projectile is about 3 times the weight and collective size of a .177 slug and travels a lot faster so it's a far better option for ensuring you kill the animal, it's no good wounding it and it running away to die in the next few hours or days. Slug guns do have their place, they aren't as dangerous at longer distance so there are situations where they are a better option but for effective hunting rimfire is best for small game.

i say get your licence and get a real gun. for the $400 you can get your licence and a cheap rifle. it's about $125 for the licence and not too hard to get. You get vetted then it's a one evening course and test which they aren't to harsh on getting right the first time, it's more about understanding safe practices. You need to have your locking device sorted before you get your licence, i used a eye bolt into the wall and have a bike lock to secure mine which costs around $18 total so that's a cost effective way of doing it. then you are open to a lot firearms activities when you have it, duck shooting, game hunting etc.

I had some time off recently & went for a walk in a forestry block that backs onto a native bush block. scored some dog food and we also cooked some up for us and they were quite tasty.

P1040123_zpsf0246d85.jpg

keep the slugs for target practice, imo too weak for killling anything in a humane manner (most 1000fps guns only put out 750 after their first year of use) and it would be cheaper to get your licence and a cheap .22

only problem thats holding me back is that landlords don't like you putting bolts into the walls so I have to fork out for a proper gun safe, or store it at my parents

in the wardrobe, on the back of wall on the door side and they will never see it. just use filler to to fill the hole if you want to repair it and if you get a gunsafe you need to put at least 4 big screws into the wall to fix it in place.

these are the two projectiles, the .177 Gamo Pro magnum hunting slug and a winchester .22LR projectile, a big difference and the .22 is travelling a lot faster.

P1040164.jpg