Aquariums and flatting

DennisP

So next year I will be moving into a flat for the first time and as most people here will understand, would like to have a fish tank. :thup:

At first I thought I'll get me a 60L tank because of the ease of it all, but then I thought if a bigger tank is viable.

Things to consider:

Running cost

Room is upstairs - floor strength

Unexpected/Overlooked complications.

Has anyone had any experience with this and would care to share?

bringing chicks home= love the mood lighting...

I used to keep my turtles in my room for that exact reason.

hey babe, I have some turtles do you want to see them?

sure

okay come upstairs to my room ill show you them.......

room dimmly lit... a sublte trickling of water...... works like a charm

I found people putting empty bottles into my tank once, floating them, and having bottle races with the power head pushing them in a circuit around the tank.

It was kind of funny at the time because they were trying to not let me notice by distracting me. But they were stopped as soon as someone sank one. :sage:

I would hold off getting a tank until you get a flat. If you are the main tenant then anyone moving in with you will have to do so on your terms. If you are moving into an existing flat, it will be up to the others if they want a tank in the place and whether or not the landlord is happy with it. You will need your own insurance because if anything happens like the tank breaking or mould on the carpets you will need to pay for the damage.

I would hold off getting a tank until you get a flat. If you are the main tenant then anyone moving in with you will have to do so on your terms. If you are moving into an existing flat, it will be up to the others if they want a tank in the place and whether or not the landlord is happy with it. You will need your own insurance because if anything happens like the tank breaking or mould on the carpets you will need to pay for the damage.

Flat lease has been signed for next year and flat mates are sorted too... You gotta be organised down here if you don't want a scummy flat. Landlord seems fine with a fish tank... as long as I don't get a pig as one of his tenants did one year. :o

its a good idea anyway to get your own insurance, just covers you if you do something, know a guy who burned down his first flat, the insurance company is still hitting him up for payment almost 20 years on

I THINK I am fully covered by my parents insurance too, but will definitely check that before we move in.

could go with a 760 x 380 x 380 only 100L :dunno:

I like this idea :thup:

I've flatted with fish tanks before. If your flatmates aren't so happy about it thinking it's going to chew a lot of power, you're best to nip it in the bud early and get one of those really cheap (I've seen them for about $6 at Bunnings) digital power meters. Put your power unit cost into it and let it measure consumption for a week. In one of my previous flats, a 240L tank was consuming about $20 of power a month and the other flatmates agreed that it wasn't worth worrying about. If they're still worried, just offer to pay a little more. Just be careful that you don't take it too far and want to measure other things like computers or you'll end up in arguments about who is using more power.

As for insurance, you will need your own. Contents insurance is a MUST have for anyone renting as it includes liability insurance. If you burn the house down, you don't have to pay for it 20 years later as previously mentioned in this thread. Plus you'll find that most policies will cover accidental damage to the property. This was a life saver for me after the Chch Feb earthquake, otherwise I would have had to pay many thousands to replace floor boards and carpet that were damaged.

I'm pretty certain I am still covered as I have asked parents if moving out has affected insurance and they said no.

Also bank/insurance representatives who have spoken to us about flatting also have said that I should still be insured by the parentals.

I will certainly check though.

a 240L tank was consuming about $20 of power a month

That's more than I thought! My Nano costs somewhere in the region of $20 a year! (If I did my maths correctly)

I'm pretty certain I am still covered as I have asked parents if moving out has affected insurance and they said no.

Also bank/insurance representatives who have spoken to us about flatting also have said that I should still be insured by the parentals.

I will certainly check though.

That's more than I thought! My Nano costs somewhere in the region of $20 a year! (If I did my maths correctly)

If you have no heating, and little filtration or lighting that might be. That's averaging about 9 watts?

Depends what insurance they're talking about. Medical you are probably covered, but I'd be really suprised if it also covers contents and more importantly, liability. Contents cover requires the insurance company knowing details about the house and occupants, as well value of goods. These details won't be on your parents policy. If by some miracle they didn't need to know these, I'm sure that would just give them really easy loopholes to get out of paying out on a claim.

As for your power usage, if your nano was only 20L then $20 / year would be about right on scale. But it all depends on heating, lighting, pumps running, temperature of the room it is in etc. This was also a few years ago now and power prices have gone up a lot since then. Those digital power meters are great if you want to know what it really costs.

Those digital power meters are great if you want to know what it really costs.

Do I WANT to know what it really costs??? :lol:

You're likely to be covered by your parents policy in your first year of uni while you're in a hall of residence if they have top notch insurance, but won't be covered in a flat.

Hmmmm. I should start budgeting for insurance costs too... :roll: