The Doc's super duper first nano betta tank attempt.

Dr A

So after problems with my fighter, I wanted to strip the tank down, esp after the fin-rot returned.

I completely stripped and washed everything, in the last few days brown algae went wild, possibly due to the lank of water movement.

I took the opportunity to add dirt into the mix, I had some Daltons Aquatic mix left-over after potting up a water lily for my pot yesterday. As with everything there's so much conflicting information out there, re: enriched / fertilized soil or not.

Anyway replanted my sword and the weedy thing at the back. I think the water-fern is too far gone but I've got a small new bud and some roots left from the crown/center of the then floating plant.

Will get some more plants in there tomorrow, seems as though I need lots and lots of plants.

Would be nice to go full-walsted if I can.

Pics in the meantime.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if it grows keep it, make sure you remove anything not growing after a few weeks to prevent it rotting.

Soil naturally contains nitrifying bacteria that will process and detoxify ammonia and nitrite. It also contains denitrifying bacteria that will process and remove nitrates.

ummmm... doesn't that only occur in saltwater tanks???

Isn't that the Walstad method .. chuck all the plants in and see what grows?

Dunno, it sure makes for a bit of unpredictability though.

TBH One of the biggest annoyances I have with this tank are the unpublished strength of the LED lights, at least for growing plants.

Either way, I've got a devious plan going.

The missus suggested keeping the fighter OUT of the tank as it had so much plant mass in there. Maybe I could get some of those dwarf puffers?!

I really want to try get 2 of those Otto's too, I see that someone else on here was selling 2 out of his 12L tank (w/ puffers too).

Kinda think it might be overstocked though... what else is small and inoffensive (ideally a plant/algae grazer)?

Crypts dying back (to be expected), spotty dieback spreading from java fern. Sounds like might be a N/P/K deficiency.

Swords doing OK (battling fine hair like alage). Flourish Excel perhaps?

Anubias Nana doing OK.

Need to actually start cycling the tank though...

• 3 weeks later...

Still plugging away at this!

One of my Crypts died right back and is comming up with new growth, the other identical one is doing OK.

Battled algae, although I didn't have a filter in the tank for a long time. Dieback on the javafern got worse and worse although new buds. I've stripped it right back and popped it into the other tank with my fighter.

Pulling out the diftwood which was the center price of the whole tank left a big hole obviously, so I re-arranged all my swords, and picked up another small compact one, plus some dwarf sags and Zelandiae grass.

Out of all the plants I purchased at the beginning only my first sword is still in the tank.

Also seems like other plants that were touching or close to the spotty java-fern picked up the disease, I've chopped off most of the effected growth.

I've ended up purchasing some flourish excel, which I've just started dosing with. Not sure if should be doing it daily or not... we'll see.

Still want some other little fishes in there (ottolinctus?) as well ideally...

Not sure on the rock placement once again too. Might try propagate some java moss onto it.

Pics!

• 1 month later...

Still working hard at this.

Going to go down the DIY CO2 route, if only for a laugh to see how it goes.

Going to do a rescape too.

Meanwhile my fighter has another outbreak of fin-rot. Not fair when you do everything correctly.