The Doc's super duper first nano betta tank attempt.

Dr A

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:smot: but how do you change modes in Google? I have seen a number of "Do not Google this with safe mode off" but can't see why so I assume mine must default with it on. It is rare I see something 'not appropriate' to the thing I have Googled. :dunno:

I fee I must be missing out on something :gigl:

:smot: but how do you change modes in Google? I have seen a number of "Do not Google this with safe mode off" but can't see why so I assume mine must default with it on. It is rare I see something 'not appropriate' to the thing I have Googled. :dunno:

I fee I must be missing out on something :gigl:

It does default to on. Maybe it should be renamed to "I am at work search"

nice setup.

little hint, instead of $20 tweezers, you can get forceps for a reasonable price from a farming store, or even use some chopsticks.

Oh yeah, and I'd guess ponsonby is about as far away from a farming supply shop as anywhere you could get in NZ.

(Actually I'm sure it's not, there's bound to be plenty around the extremities of AKL but you know...)

Removed the minnows... there's one less in the tank than there was this morning... It was a locally grown one rather than a gold one, so it's not as annoying, but I can't figure out where it's gone, the tank has a lid and the chances of getting through that are tiny, I checked all around it anyway. The bottom of the tank appears to be free of carcasses, and I'm sure the betta redate or even scavenge the whole thing.

Update (everybody loves updates):

Betta is still looking tough and having a jolly old time by himself.

He's only built 1 bubble nest, which he didn't re-make after I did a water change.

I purchased some frozen bloodworms which go down well. Jumps out of the water to get the tweezers.

Mixed success with the plants in the tank, the plant I'm growing in the center is going nuts and growing 4/5cm a day. I'm going to have to prune it soon.

Red plant in the back left shed alot of leaves, I've now discovered they need high light and iron. Seems to be comming right though. I've left all the dead leaves in the tank, sort of works with my vibe.

The lilly-type thing in the back right really isn't happy. If someone could ID it for me that'd be awesome. If it's unpractical I'll give it away before it withers away completely. Java fern appears unchanged.

Floating 2x Indian ferns is a bit of a pain, but they've grown to cover most of the tanks surface. I may plant one in the back. The Betta likes it I think.

No real sign of Algae either, I have the lights on for a long time too, so I guess that's good.

Still not 100% happy with the layout. Does anybody know of a small plant that will grow in the front? Maybe I could just try growing moss.

Still no sign of the WCMM carcass.

Pictures

I purchased some frozen bloodworms which go down well. Jumps out of the water to get the tweezers.

It's cool when they do that aye? I've got a

of
of mine doing that (makes me want Bettas again now >.< ). Go easy on the bloodworms though, Bettas don't know when to stop and can really hurt themselves eating too much.

It's cool when they do that aye? I've got a

of
of mine doing that (makes me want Bettas again now >.< ). Go easy on the bloodworms though, Bettas don't know when to stop and can really hurt themselves eating too much.

Yeah, I just give him a few. The biggest problem is actually chopping a small enough amount off the frozen block. I only keep them defrosted for 24hrs.

I've got a bucket outside cultivating mosquito larvae too which should come on-line soon.

Should I invest in some different frozen bits to supplement his diet?

Will try and get some better (top?) pics of the lilly type thing. It doesn't have a rhizome if that helps, and I think the guy in the shop said it has small blue flowers.

High quality flake should be his main staple, supplement with bloodworms and other frozen food. In the wild they would eat mostly mosquito larvae and I've had no problems feeding them bucket loads of that (as seen in one of the other Betta vids). You've really got me tempted to start up a nano again :nilly:

from the pic I think it is another one of those lesser spearworts, (Rannunculus flammeus) tends to prefer good lighting in the tank and also likes to stick up out of the water, never kept one in a tank only in ponds

Did some googling and found someone mentioning arrowheads, and it does appear to look like one.

That's good, I can use it in my outdoor pot/pond. I need more plants in there.

you have an outdoor pot pond???, didn't realize it was an aquatic :sml2:

So many comments I could make about bong-water being the prefect environment for fish...

Anyway... I'll whip out the dying plant and put it in the pot. They're quite tricky to get set-up, the one I've got at the moment is suffering from green algae.

Right, so no mosquito larvae as of yet.

I might get some other food to supplement his diet... would those whiteworm cultures I've read about work?

I like the idea of live things...

Brine shrimp?

Open to suggestions.

Re: Flake food, he's not keen on any flake I've tried to give him. He'll nibble but spit it out or ignore it. He likes the mini-pallets though, and happily forages amongst the substrate, which I take isn't a given amongst bettas.

Indeed, although I didn't do anything clever, he just likes to "freeze" sometimes when he's swimming, he does it at all different kinds of odd angles.

He's actually not in there at the moment either, I've got him in juice bottles whilst his fins recover from rot.

Would be keen to get more plants in there too...

Anyway I'd love to get something larger but my house is rather small. I'm not sure what the landlord thinks of fish either: my tenancy agreement says cat only... I figured with a small tank I'd be hard for him to get shitty.

Filter is a Helia BT-200 that was included, but I'd double check that. I saw it had the same filter included at HFF, but it could but sold without it...

I'm not particularly endeared to the filter as it's quite noisy, and it could easily fit something else...

No heater, but it should fit any standard one in it's little house.

Lights seem OK for growing plants, my red one didn't do to well, and neither did the arrow-leaf thing, but that was probably more me than anything else. I don't know much about the type and quality of light provided. The Indian ferns I've got go nuts under it.

I've got a few gripes re: the tank. Screws at the back were gimmicky, I took them out and never replaced them. The buttons to turn the lights on are a bit cheap feeling, probably because they're waterproof so you've got to squash them down a bit. The other big issue I've got with the lights is that they are soft touch rather than switch operated, so you couldn't put a timer on them. You've also got to cycle all the way through the 4/5 brightness levels before turning it off. I could probably re-wire them if I really felt the need...

The top cover doesn't provide a tight seal, there's a 5mm+ gap on two sides. Don't know if that's a problem of not.

NB: You can take the lights off the tank if you want via those screws mentioned.

I'm kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel here though. My main issues I think are due to the nature of the tank (ie, small) rather than the tank itself.

After working with it though I can see why those Fluvial Edges must be a massive pain in the ass.

It seems nice and solidly built.