September 3, 201214 yr comment_495513 Hi guys. I was traveling back from tauranga today when a duck was hit by the car in front, turned back to check it was okay but couldn't walk. Decided to remove him from harms way and bring him home. Have him in a large tank with blankets and water and some bread. Still not using his legs I am pretty sure in one is broken and the other is injured. I was hoping you could suggest something or know of anything that would help. Cheers Report
September 3, 201214 yr comment_495516 Is there a bird rescue place in your area? That would be ideal as they are well equipped for care and rehabilitation of exotic species (assuming your duck is not a native). http://www.nzbirds.com/more/centres.html The duck will need some medical care as soon as possible. Overnight, you can keep it in a warm dark place and encourage it to be still. Report
September 3, 201214 yr Author comment_495518 It's in the reptile room where is warm and tank is covered with towels, duck sitting propped up by blanket. Contacts wingspan, Auckland and hamilton zoos, paradise valley should hopefully here back tomorrow. Report
September 3, 201214 yr comment_495521 wingspan do raptors if its a mallard you may not have much joy animal rescue and rehabilitation centre have a branch in rotorua i think good luck http://www.arrc.org.nz/ Report
September 3, 201214 yr Author comment_495534 It's a parera (grey duck), ok cool thought wingspan for it been a bird they would be more help but will go to the AARC this afternoon once I have finished tech. Thanks Report
September 3, 201214 yr comment_495550 If all else fails: '>http://tinyurl.com/99sqopw I like your style :slfg: Report
September 3, 201214 yr comment_495553 I had an injured duck come and visit me regularly along with 30 of his mates, I managed to catch him and pop him into a cat cage and take hime to the vet. Apparently he had sprained his leg, gave him a shot of anti inflamatory and pain killers and I bought him back home. The SPCA will pick up the bill, ring them and they will give you a case number to use at the vets, the Vet will then charge back to the SPCA. Good Luck Lynda Report
September 4, 201214 yr comment_495583 You could try these guys http://www.ducks.org.nz/duck.htm I have no idea where they are based though. Report
September 4, 201214 yr Author comment_495603 Thanks guys. Took the duck to SPCA where the Rotorua ARRC is based. They have given the duck some painkillers and kept him in over night and will let me know tomorrow how he is going, Report
September 4, 201214 yr comment_495616 If all else fails: http://tinyurl.com/99sqopw LMAO :sml1: Report
September 6, 201214 yr Author comment_495847 Sadly the duck had to be put down by the SPCA due to internal injuries. Report
September 6, 201214 yr comment_495879 Very sad :tears: Just be happy in knowing that you helped the poor wee fella out, no more pain and suffering for him. Good onya for helping him out. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.