Fixing a leaky tank

Jaide

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the tank before the leak, with fish:

MonstertankSeptember2012.jpg

The new tank pretty much looks exactly the same, except it's empty. I'm filling it up today but just need a hand with the garden hose and getting it through the window, so fish will be in bins for a few more days yet. I might take some pics of fish in bins - but you'll only get the tail of the severum as he's stuck himself firmly in an ornament sulking, same with the pleco.

It sure is! I call this my fish room, anyone who sleeps here ends up sleeping with the fish :wink:

OK, here are pics of fish in bins - pics are taken at daily water changing/feeding time.

Pair of oscars, krib, pink convict and one very large pleco (hiding in his log):

fishinbins2.jpg

Tinfoil barb, 2x silver dollars, red jewel and one very unhappy severum who's hiding in the bell:

Fishinbins.jpg

Tank heating up - look how green it is! :bounce:

bluetank.jpg

Dunno about plywood but I asked the guy at Bunnings to cut me enough lengths of decking timber which I placed under my tanks which were too wide for their supports. And if you place decking timber so that the ridges are underneath, then any water that does get down there has a chance to dry out.

Is the tank sitting off the edge of the table?? Might want to see if you can even out both sides to reduce the overhang

No, it's flush to the edge of the long middle drawer which sticks out forward a bit of the main dresser top, and is exactly the length of the dresser - hard to see in the pic as it's taken at an angle.

There is a guy down here breeding heaps of fish in four foot tanks placed across two foot stands so the only support is two strips of inch box section and an overhang of a foot each side. Lost them twice in the shakes but has since survived a couple of decent shakes by glueing them to the stands. I wouldn't do it myself but it works for him so I have to say it works. It is surprising what some people get away with.

There is a guy down here breeding heaps of fish in four foot tanks placed across two foot stands so the only support is two strips of inch box section and an overhang of a foot each side. Lost them twice in the shakes but has since survived a couple of decent shakes by glueing them to the stands. I wouldn't do it myself but it works for him so I have to say it works. It is surprising what some people get away with.

I have seen this also, but up here in TGA we don't get the shakes :happy2:

I bought one of them, took it home, put it on a flat surface and it cracked straight away (didn't use poly :facepalm: :facepalm: ) So something about using those two supports instead of a full stank seems to be working

yep, all settled in:

BackhomeSept20122_zps83d5bc77.jpg

They were all like wee ghosts - very pale while in their bins, even the krib had lost her stripes she was so pale so clearly not happy at all :o

But within 10 mins of putting them back in the tank, they started to colour up again :)

They were all like wee ghosts - very pale while in their bins, even the krib had lost her stripes she was so pale so clearly not happy at all :o

But within 10 mins of putting them back in the tank, they started to colour up again :)

Fish tend to brighten or darken depending on their surroundings. *Checks bins* Yup, bright white. :) Move them to a tank where they aren't surrounded by white plastic and they quickly get darker.