My 450ltr Tank

Godly3vil

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Running about 4bps which keeps my co2 around 28ppm.

I have finally finished modifying the hood/lid so that the new lights can sit above the tank at the height they are meant to. I am really pleased with how well it came out and even better it only cost me $16 for the wood and a can of spray paint.

With the new lights I have noticed a lot of new growth and healthier looking plants which is what I really wanted, kind of kicking myself for not going metal halide when I first set it up considering I have gone from pl to t8 to T5HO and now mh in the space of a few months lol but oh well you live and you learn.

Here's some new pics from today, dwarf sag is going nuts. Also I have managed to finally hide the waterline which I have to say looks much better in my opinion.

20130226_170135_zps1451fa46.jpg

20130226_170031_zps21e06273.jpg

Looking great. :cophot: Plants definitely look healthy and growing well

You need a bigger tank :fshi:

Cheers dude, I know lol I am probably going to buy the big tank that Cliff has in his garage, it's huge. I'm going to see him tonight to pick up some more stuff and a bunch of glass to make a sump.

I also will be adding a massive uruguaynsis sword 60cm+ and 20-30 large c. balansae this week if the guy who I bought them off can get to the courier so that will all be for the background and should look great hopefully.

• 3 weeks later...

Stayed up till 3 this morning re-planting the tank, added a huge (80cm+) uruguaynsis sword plant and finally some c. balansae. I took out all of the dwarf sag as it was just trapping food under it which was leading to a planaria outbreak. Also now I might actually be able to see most of my fish not just the discus lol.

Found a few different types of sword plants I didn't realise I had aswell so that's a bonus.

Tank is still heating back up to temperature and will probably have a mini cycle with all the disturbance I caused from ripping it to bits so discus are in a 130ltr holding tank until all the levels become stable again.

Will post some pics later hopefully.

Pics will have to wait till tomorrow now as I just went to Jim's and he kindly gave me a huge aponogeten crispus? plant that I have to find a place for, it's funny as not long ago I couldn't find any long leave plants to use as a background but now within the last week I have more than I know what to do with lol.

Also have 11 clown loaches now to put in ranging from around 5cm to 12cm. Bye bye snails!

Here's some pics of the way it is now, don't think I will be changing it for awhile now took long enough to do it this time, not to mention the mess haha.

20130320_200922_zpsed02d6a8.jpg

20130320_200420_zpsad230969.jpg

20130320_200409_zpsecad618b.jpg

The c. balansae is already starting to melt a little bit so hopefully it doesn't all melt off and if it does hopefully it all grows back. Finally got myself a ph controller aswell so will be installing that probably tomorrow and keep the ph at a steady 6.6 as without co2 it rises back to 7.4-7.6, I haven't put the discus, loaches or tiger plecs back in yet as I want to give the plants time to settle and hopefully root before they take their toll on them.

The uruguayensis sword on the right side has some leaves over 80cm long from the base of plants, anyone know how tall these things can grow? From what I have read on the net everyone seems to claim they only get to a foot tall not much more but this thing is nearly 3 feet long and still growing.

My uruguayensis has peaked at about 75-80cm (hopefully!) in about 10 weeks since planting. It's just sent up it's first flower spike which is growing up out of the corner of the tank with the lid propped up. My macrophyllus is bigger than the uruguayensis and my red melon sword has hopefully grown to full size now at about 55cm which is much bigger than I was told/expected. You are dosing more CO2 than me so I'm not sure if this will make yours grow bigger.

Great looking tank by the way. I think the clearing at the front really helps with aesthetics.