August 22, 201214 yr comment_494067 Hey Everyone. Due to my unique tank set-up (being 2 inches off the ground and all), my canister filter is in a box beside the tank, (not under like its meant to be). Hence I have a few flow problems. Does anyone know of a brand of aquarium-sized in-line pumps. I.e, not the type you put in the water, the type that sit out of the water and have an in and out pipe. I realise that some pumps have an adapter so you can attach an "in" pipe to them, however due to heat, I think most of them are still supposed to be submerged. Any ideas? Report
August 22, 201214 yr comment_494068 I would have thought the pump on the filter would be more efficient than normal as it would not have to work against the head height as much. You could try a small sump tank to act as a cooling reservoir, maybe even using it to add to the tanks heating capability Report
August 22, 201214 yr Author comment_494071 Yea, I have thought of that (sump), its more the fact that the pump in the canister at the moment is having to work to both pull the water in and push it out, rather than having it naturally siphon from the tank when it is below it. A sump tank (which would have to sit at the same level as the tank) would not fill fast enough naturally with the flow that comes from the tank, (hence why the canister filter is struggling at the moment), in other words the pump would run dry very quickly. Due to the uniqueness of my tank (or retard-ed-ness) I am very limited in my options, which is why I am looking for an in-line pump which would fix all my problems. Report
August 22, 201214 yr comment_494072 if you don't mind me asking, Why is the tank 2 inches of the ground??? Report
August 23, 201214 yr Author comment_494075 Fish-Tank-Coffee-Table. You can see it from all four sides, and look down into it (the top is recessed into the water so there is no condensation). If I ever had the chance to go back, I might not have done it, every part of it has been an issue from the start... Report
August 23, 201214 yr comment_494096 Your set up isnt ideal but i cant see it being a problem once you have the air out and the flow going. It doesnt really matter where you pump is once its primed. At the end of the day there will be water going up and water going down no matter where your pump sits, it just that initial pull untill it is full that you might need to help it with. Report
August 23, 201214 yr comment_494101 yep, your canister filter will be running fine - as long as it has ho air in it Report
August 23, 201214 yr comment_494105 top recessed into the water???, how the fishies getting oxygen???? Report
August 23, 201214 yr Author comment_494107 Airpump creates a positive pressure inside the tank, pushing bubbles through it, and up round the edge of the glass. Enough to keep everyone alive Report
August 23, 201214 yr comment_494124 A sump tank (which would have to sit at the same level as the tank) would not fill fast enough naturally with the flow that comes from the tank, (hence why the canister filter is struggling at the moment), in other words the pump would run dry very quickly. That isn't true if your drains are sized correctly. I think the Eheim Compact series of pumps can be run in-line. Report
August 23, 201214 yr comment_494168 yep, your canister filter will be running fine - as long as it has ho air in it I hate it when my filter gets ho air in it... Wait... Quote of the month: I'd say I'm about average- Ira Why're you quoting me saying that in your sig? :slfg: Report
August 23, 201214 yr Author comment_494173 Yea, that's part of the problem, the holes are not sized correctly (1/2 inch from memory, its hard to see, they are under the tank about 1cm off the floor). Another problem that I would have fixed if I had another chance.... That, and the height of the tank is only about 40cm, so there is not alot of downward pressure... anyway... Ehiem pumps have in-line models??? Report
August 23, 201214 yr Author comment_494176 Oh, and the flow is considerably less than what the filter used to be when it was under a tank. Due to the fact that each pipe is 2.5m long before it enters/leaves the pump does not help. As I said, everything seems to be difficult with this tank.... Hence, why I am looking for an external pump. Report
August 23, 201214 yr comment_494192 top recessed into the water???, how the fishies getting oxygen???? Airpump creates a positive pressure inside the tank, pushing bubbles through it, and up round the edge of the glass. Enough to keep everyone alive So, the tank is airtight, and has air being pumped into it? How do you release the pressure that is being built up? Report
August 23, 201214 yr comment_494202 Oh, and the flow is considerably less than what the filter used to be when it was under a tank. Due to the fact that each pipe is 2.5m long before it enters/leaves the pump does not help. As I said, everything seems to be difficult with this tank.... Hence, why I am looking for an external pump. I would think that the 5m+ of pipe work, 1/2 inch holes and the I guess the 2 x 1/2" 90deg bends will be the limiting factor for the pump. Report
August 23, 201214 yr comment_494205 a lot of pumps can be run inline go have a look at the pond masters at the water garden on blenheim road or even some of the cheaper pumps at the pet and garden supplies on fitzgerald. the only thing is to expect there to be a lot more noise , i would consider putting the pump in the tank as the inlet for the filter as it will be quieter Report
August 23, 201214 yr comment_494207 Ehiem pumps have in-line models??? http://www.aquaristikshop.com/cgi-bin/n ... Q9l6T4KRCP Report
August 23, 201214 yr comment_494211 I would think that the 5m+ of pipe work, 1/2 inch holes and the I guess the 2 x 1/2" 90deg bends will be the limiting factor for the pump. 1/2 inch piping is a major limiting factor due to the friction it causes, you would get better results just upsizing outside of the tank and leaving the 1/2 inch inlet/outlet. the 90 degree bends are restricting flow by up to 40%, a lot better to have a peice of flexi hose with a shallow bend in it. when the filter was under the tank it had gravity pushing out all air locks. now you really need to ensure it is 100% air free before starting it up. Have seen an Eheim classic running next to a tank before and its flow rate was a Heap better than normal anyone can tst this by walking up to their tank and lifting their filter up to see what happens. Report
August 23, 201214 yr Author comment_494216 The bubbles travel up, hit the glass, then travel along the glass until the edge (as the glass is not perfectly level), there is about an inch gap all around the glass (between the edge of the top and the edge to the side of the tank). Its not sealed to the point of holding pressure. But it did save the tank in the earthquakes. After a minute of shaking I only lost 2 litres of water :thup: At some stage I will get around to putting some pictures of the tank on here. Report
August 24, 201214 yr comment_494277 I have an aquaone pump (106-maxi 3200l/h) running in-line on my hillstream loach tank, and was running inline on my 430l native tank before that. It did take a bit to get the inlet airtight though, poor molding. Report
September 5, 201214 yr Author comment_495724 Ok, So after a while of thinking, I realised I have a ViaAqua VA-2600 here at home, and I was thinking that this might be able to be run in-line. Did a bit of looking around, only to become very confused. I have found 2 sites saying that it can be run out of the water, and 1 saying that it has to be submerged. Does anyone have one of these pumps, so that they might be able to give me some advice? Also, does anyone have the contact details of ViaAqua, or their distributor in NZ? I thought I could ring them and find out, however, I cant even find their contact details! Can anyone help? Much appreciated. Report
September 5, 201214 yr comment_495726 Just plumb it up and run it, if it has the fittings. The only reasons it couldn't be inline and not submerged are if it leaks or it overheats. Overheating is unlikely, it still would have a lot of water running through it, so maybe it would leak? As far as the impeller or any possible extra wear goes the impeller wouldn't have a clue if it's submerged or not as long as there's water at the intake and water at the outlet. Only way to find out is to try it. Report
September 5, 201214 yr Author comment_495727 Yea, the over-heating issue is what I am worried about. I really want to know for sure before I leave it going while im not at home. Report
September 5, 201214 yr Author comment_495728 And....I just realised when I got it out of the box, the reason I stopped using it...I broke the ceramic impeller part a while ago. So, I will be needing a replacement, so does anyone know of where/who supplies replacement parts for ViaAqua? Distributors/Suppliers etc. I cant remember where I got it from! Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.