Tropical Goldfish????

fish_fingers

Ive seen people keep goldfish in tropical tanks before for many different reasons, don't think its healthy for the fish though as it does speed up their metabolism. They all looked really healthy though. Goldfish are pretty forgiving as long as you slowly acclimatize them to whatever temp you want to keep them in.

I mean 'tropical' as in 'exotic'....

I've found the auction. I think they don't understand the meanings of all the words they use.

I beg to differ! They go on to mention the increase in metabolism which suggests that they have some basic knowledge about the relationship between (aquarium) temperature and metabolism. They then also state that they wish "to shut down some of my fish tanks to save on power". Thus, tropical means they have a heater operational in the tank, which you would expect with Angel fish.

In Asia (the home of goldfish) they are all 100% tropical.

most of asia is actually temperate, and even te warmer areas get quite cold over winter, I think you will find that goldfish originated from western china near the border of russia, which is a lot colder than NZ over winter

I've kept goldfish in a heated tank with tropicals. The temp was set to about 21 degrees and the tropicals were fish that could tolerate cooler water. I wouldn't have goldfish in a tank heated too high though as, even though they're known to "tolerate anything", I actually think they can't and it's cruel to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my fantail goldfish in with my tropicals for about a year on 25C. At first I only had 'coldwater guppies' (found out after getting them that they don't really tolerate cold water) so I increased the temp slowly. My fantail goldfish was way more active in the warm water and ate more and it grew a lot. Now it's in a separate tank with the temp set at 21C but it's usually about 23C... heater doesn't work properly obviously... I have an air pump and air stone so there is enough oxygen. My fantails are healthy and happy. I don't know if it will affect how long they live for or not... they seem to be doing really well.