What do i do now?

trinox

Hey Everyone,

I purchased a 5ftx2ftx2ft tank, roughly 550L. While moving it the glass has been chipped in the corner. It doesn't look like it has broken the seal at all. It is chipped on the outside corner. Here is a few little pictures to explain where the damage is.

Can anyone tell me what i should do?

2012-08-20095950.jpg

2012-08-20095927.jpg

Honestly most people would replace it with new glass panel!!

But to replace a new panels it might cost you the price of buying a new tank!!

a)ok in this situation if i intend to fix this promblem without replacement, i would buy me RIGHT ANGLE bar (L shape)50-100mm x

alliminuim, and max it out with neutral silcone"

b) more expensive than plan a" cut another single panel and set back 100-200mm off broken edge, and place the new panel inside the tank then silcone to make a new side wall..to brace this new wall you will have to siclone a new piece of glass over the top. Hope that make sense"

"sometime you need to be more creative, you got to make mistake to learn the right solution"

enjoy :thup:

The correct answer if you want the tank to be less likely to leak/break is to replace the whole bottom.

An internal patch might be a good option for a temporary repair.

The biggest issue with this is that the glass has been compromised, all it needs to have done is to make a weakness in it it wont take much for it to crack across the bottom if it is stressed at all. So if you stick it on a slightly unlevel stand, or it gets flexed in an earthquake or even just in a random movement/someone walking past etc then it can go. None of the glass used in our tanks is perfect so this is always a risk, a chip or any damage makes it more likely but you would have to buy a lotto ticket if you wanted to try and determine how likely/unlikely it was.

The correct answer if you want the tank to be less likely to leak/break is to replace the whole bottom.

The biggest issue with this is that the glass has been compromised, all it needs to have done is to make a weakness in it it wont take much for it to crack across the bottom if it is stressed at all. So if you stick it on a slightly unlevel stand, or it gets flexed in an earthquake or even just in a random movement/someone walking past etc then it can go. None of the glass used in our tanks is perfect so this is always a risk, a chip or any damage makes it more likely but you would have to buy a lotto ticket if you wanted to try and determine how likely/unlikely it was.

Fully agree with ryan here its definetly been comprimised a mate of mine just had his tanks bottom replaced as it had chips like yours even though it was 15 mill glass and 450 litres going everywher isnt good

There will be an immense amount of pressure on that corner now

Everything likes to take the path of less resistance and that would be the first part to let go

BUt you could heavliy patch it with silicon like la said youl need tpo leak test then patch even if there is no leaks

Its a true statement!

ok plan c) :sml2: wack another 1/3 of glass fully siclone on bottom panle to prevent float from running!

I would not just leave it and do a water test! so what happen if test didnt leak? you would just leave it and sleep with one eye open to see if water ever leak!

replace it or brace it"

So Trinox the choices is your to how your buget really sit in..

Thanks for all the ideas, i would love to fix it properly, replace the bottom as said, can anyone tell me where i would find a company that fix tanks? i can't afford a arm and a leg to be honest, if it costs to much ill just have to purchase another tank.