Why do my fish die

Belladona

Hi there guys,

Hope all is going well for you and your fish.

We have

-Hair grass,

-Cherry leaf,

-Windelov´s Fern,

It is a light to medium planted tank I suppose - about 1/4 of the tank, maybe a bit less.

And yes critter-crazy I did wonder what on earth I had done getting involved with fish.

• 2 months later...
Also a cynical comment from me = most fish stores will tell you that you can have more fish in your tank. They know when yours die due to overstocking, or underfiltration, you will buy more replacement fish and so they get their $$. By pushing you towards maximum capacity they ensure that you are always on the tip of a potential disaster, and so they ensure they will get your money in fish or treatments for sick fish ;) I have even been encouraged to seriously overstock even at the most highly regarded fish stores when I was a newbie... and learnt the hard way that overstocking is an expensive lesson!

I agree, when we first got started on fish we had a little 40L and the LFS was more than happy not only to keep selling us more fish but to sell us fish that would outgrow our tank. A lot of reserch and learning later and this newbie has learnt! We were prob well over 100% stocked at the time with fish that were unsuitable for that size tank. Lost a few Rosy Tetras from stress I believe (they would die with no symptoms after the big male went on a rampage and picked on them).

Just a question on the Flying Fox - is it a true Flying Fox or Siamese Algae Eater. A lot of LFS sell them as one in the same which they are not. The Fox is the agressive one and will likely become aggresive the bigger he gets. From what I have learnt on this forum this week is that most aggression happens at lights out!

Check out this website, I use it as a guide

http://www.aqadvisor.com

I've entered in your tank size and stock and out popped the following:

Warning: Glowlight Tetra may become food for Flying Fox.

Warning: Danio erythromicron may become food for Flying Fox.

Note: Chinese Algae Eater will become incredibly aggressive and destructive when they become adults.

Warning: Chinese Algae Eater is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 27.9 cm.

Warning: Glowlight Tetra may become food for Chinese Algae Eater.

Warning: Danio erythromicron may become food for Chinese Algae Eater.

Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 1 Molly, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.

Warning: When Bolivian Ram starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Neon Tetra.

Warning: Flying Fox is too aggressive to co-exist with Neon Tetra.

Warning: Chinese Algae Eater is too aggressive to co-exist with Neon Tetra.

Warning: At least 5 x Glowlight Tetra are recommended in a group.

Warning: Bolivian Ram is too aggressive to co-exist with Glowlight Tetra.

Warning: Flying Fox is too aggressive to co-exist with Glowlight Tetra.

Warning: Chinese Algae Eater is too aggressive to co-exist with Glowlight Tetra.

Warning: Black Widow Tetra will likely to fin nip Guppy. Try increasing the number to 6.

Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 1 Platy, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.

Warning: Bolivian Ram is too aggressive to co-exist with Danio erythromicron.

Warning: Flying Fox is too aggressive to co-exist with Danio erythromicron.

Warning: Chinese Algae Eater is too aggressive to co-exist with Danio erythromicron.

Warning: At least 4 x Peppered Cory are recommended in a group.

Warning: At least 5 x Black Widow Tetra are recommended in a group.

Warning: Your selected species may eventually require 136% of your aquarium space. You may need to deal with territorial aggressions later on. Try removing some of (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus, Gyrinocheilus aymonieri, Corydoras paleatus) or get a larger tank.

Recommended temperature range: 24 - 25 C. [Display in Farenheit]

Recommended pH range: 7 - 7.5.

Recommended hardness range: 11 - 15 dH.

Recommended water change schedule: 36% per week.

Your aquarium stocking level is 118%

Hi guys, great to hear from you all, not sure but this site stated I had no new messages so sorry I wasn't ignoring anyone, the info is really interesting on the fish compatibilities, we are looking at moving the 2 flying foxes and the algae eater to the small local zoo where my son works if we see any signs of trouble stating to develop or they get much bigger and the tank looks out of balance and we have a power shift due to sheer size, at the moment they are between 31/2 - 4 inches long. We have a predominantly female tank in all species which is probably a good thing and any chasing we do get seems to be inter-species.

Am also looking at moving out the black widows next week - last to mention - first to go, Natureland Zoo has one so it would be great to boost to their numbers to 3, healthier all round.

That site will be great to check out before I invest in any new fish - thanks heaps.

Not sure why it would suggest removing my corys though.

PS "WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!" its like being in a series of LOST IN SPACE (oops showing my age), - doesn't make for good reading - its like I'm serving up a banquet for a select few :-? .

Hi guys, great to hear from you all, not sure but this site stated I had no new messages so sorry I wasn't ignoring anyone, the info is really interesting on the fish compatibilities, we are looking at moving the 2 flying foxes and the algae eater to the small local zoo where my son works if we see any signs of trouble stating to develop or they get much bigger and the tank looks out of balance and we have a power shift due to sheer size, at the moment they are between 31/2 - 4 inches long. We have a predominantly female tank in all species which is probably a good thing and any chasing we do get seems to be inter-species.

Am also looking at moving out the black widows next week - last to mention - first to go, Natureland Zoo has one so it would be great to boost to their numbers to 3, healthier all round.

That site will be great to check out before I invest in any new fish - thanks heaps.

Not sure why it would suggest removing my corys though.

PS "WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!" its like being in a series of LOST IN SPACE (oops showing my age), - doesn't make for good reading - its like I'm serving up a banquet for a select few :-? .

Hello

Wow this is some really interesting stuff! Now I'm wondering about my flying fox, he is getting bigger and I don't want an aggressive fish in my little community tank! My Oto died today and now I wonder if the flying fox was a cause...

I love this forum; we can learn from each other's problems and really get the facts. I'm a newbie too so am finding all this shared knowledge quite valuable. I might take the carbon out of my tank too... :-)

I have a flying fox (currently about 6-7cm) who was put in with a school of around 8 (Now 12) oto's in a 400L planted tank.

the Oto's "adopted"him, letting him swim around in their school, and even now that hes twice their size they still school with him, the other day I saw one of the oto's "T-Barring" him (or maybe her???) making me think they think its just an over sized Oto.

I personally think the trick to oto's is to have lots of them unfortunately they are a bit expensive

Hi there

looking at the warnings not alot is said about the black widows compared to my others, the boisterousness is there in my flying foxes and algae eater but as said alot of inter species chasing, I'm wondering if the nastiness is my black widows??? especially as there is only two, its like they have their own territory, one sits middle of the back the other middle at the front, have seen them following fish around and eat new delivered babies. Any thoughts/ experiences???

they will change their personalities and become less aggressive if you have them in a school of at least 6 (the more the merrier I'd go for a school of 12 or more). they will be happier too. remember they can get quite big too

Black widows can be quite fin nippery too, so expect a little bit of it anyways.

Ive seen 2 black widows kill 2 fully grown male sword tails and a nice VT fighter in a 215ltr tank, they're a nasty little fish! I have heard if you keep them in a school they just take their aggression out on each other but I wouldn't want to try that, who wants to risk a small school of killer fish :slfg: