Blue Tongue Skink north of Bombay Hills ?

aotealotl

hello, the clerk in the local pet shop told me that keeping Blue Tongue Skink in 'captivity' north of Bombay Hills is prohibited by DOC because if they can escape they would be able to breed in the free. is this the case or just another fairy tale ?

Restrictions can be put in place by Maf or any Regional council. In the case of north of the Bombay hills and blue tounges the restriction is imposed by the Auckland Regional Council and will cover the area that the ARC covers. I don't know if it applies to other regions as well. The main reason for the restrictions is that they have live young so do no have to have viable conditions to incubate eggs.

I am waiting for them to ban domestic cats that are let out to roam and kill our native lizards and birds.

I totally agree, I have two dogs, I live rural far away from the city and my dogs will never come even close to town and I have to pay for microchips and dog registration fees (just to pay for all the mangrol dogs in town roaming free and have to get caught) and all the cats are free FOR FREE killing everything native and everyone seems to be fine with it...

...any cat roaming free does more harm to our fauna than any escaped lizard, skink or dart frog (or White's Tree for that matter) just saying

I am sure there are a lot of farmers out there who would dispute that dogs kill only to eat.

and that is part of the whole 'problem', if dogs roam they mainly kill introduced livestock (sheep and such) and that hurts wallets, if cats kill native birds and lizards, who gives a ... :an!gry

• 1 month later...

I had a chat with Jack Craw (ARC) a few weeks ago during a discussion about the current RPMS. Interestingly when I questioned him about the Blue-tongues 'special treatment' in the strategy he responded telling me that they are not restricted and that they are only considered a pest when not in containment just like the other reptiles. :-?

Good to know they know what they are doing... protecting us from all those nasty Salmonella spreading reptiles :facepalm:

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...