Winter power bills

aaron11

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect it's the gas heater I've got going all the time to reduce the electricity use ! :slfg:

I use gas too on and off and an open fire, so the fire would keep the tank in the lounge at a good temp

And the gas in the hallway when its really cold helps but living in an old house i wouldnt want gas on all the time

Ive had no damp this winter last house i used gas in ended up mouldy and had to use dehimifier all the time and that added 40 a month BUT

wasnt as sunny as here

So gas and fire for me hehe

I love this gas heater trick, if its costing you $50 a fortnight to avoid an extra $50 a months on your power why do we keep doing it?. damn little psychological games we play

I only use one bottle a month thats 30 !!! so works out ok still all adds up thou

• 3 weeks later...

:smot: a bit but,Just to do with heating. I have found that my two tanks in the lounge has meant i havnt needed to light my fire very often over the winter. I have been in shorts and a tee shirt for a good part of the winter while sitting in my lounge. so on that theory i think my tanks have saved me money this winter because i havent had to buy anyfire wood.

our first full power bill in the new house was $40 cheaper than the last one at the old house.

Differences being:

extra power spend items here - dishwasher, 2 extra small fish tanks heated

power saving items here - hot water cylinder is fully and properly insulated, and working, house is full of light and warmer, carpet

throughout and it's so much warmer that we don't need a heater on during the day at all, twice this week haven't needed one on at night either.

:bounce:

thats actually a very good point, I wonder how efficient a tank is as a heater (watts in per watt out), Our fish room sits at around 25-27 degrees with just the tanks heating it, and the heaters come on very rarely (to the point they keep seizing up)

It would be 100% efficient, just like any resistive heater. All the electricity put into it ends up as heat including any noise from pumps and lighting. Of course it would only be a few hundred watts unless you're talking a big well lit reef. You can't really quantify the value of it being nice to look at, but surely that would make it better than something like an oil column heater of the same output.

• 2 weeks later...

Normal bill is around $160-200 in the middle of winter. This month we hit $450 (despite colder months earlier). We have a wood fire for heating so the fish got blamed. Called the plumber around-turns out the HOUSE water heater was to blame, it has been overflowing. The fish still have the blame. :rotf:

Has anyone seen an aquarium made from this stuff yet? http://www.iqglass.com/products_iqglass/

So you can lose heat to the outside before it heats the water? Might work fine as the base glass so you'll have it well insulated by the stand and styrofoam under the tank. Either way at best it won't be any more efficient than a normal heater which, like all resistive heaters, is 100% efficient.