Axolotl and pH

amb44

Hi,

I recently bought an axolotl, and it died after three days. When I got home from work the day after I bought it I found it lying on its back on the bottom of the tank but it was still alive. I was worried that the filter was too powerful so I scooped it out and put it in an ice-cream container. The next evening it had died. I rang the petshop and they told me to bring it in with some tank water and they told me the axolotl looked fine (just dead!) but the pH was 8 which was 'toxic' to them. I did some research myself and keep reading that, while on the high side, they can live in a pH of 8, and even if this isn't correct, could it really have affected it that severely after less than 72 hours? I don't know if I want to get another one after this, but would like to know whether the pH could have been the cause, or if not what else other's may think it is as I feel horribly guilty right now.

Thanks,

Amy

Axo's should handle pH 8 perfectly well, mine run at 7.5. (a quick google found recomendations of up to 9.0), was it roughly handled at any point, or was the transport time excessive (over 1 day)

I personally would ask for a refund and also recommend the pet store retrains its people, honestly anyone who says an animal looks fine just dead is a bit of a moron. I have had a few recently that have taken a while to get used to prepared food so I would also ask how it was fed and also how skinny it was. and feel its belly to make sure its not got an intestinal blockage due to gravel. gills can be succeptable to ammonia burning if transport was too long, and also look at the tank it came from and the condition of its tank mates.

Thanks for your quick reply. Transport was a couple of hours including the time it took me to quickly fill its tank. I floated the bag in the tank for about 15 minutes to get it used to the temperature. I used pebbles that were nearly as big as the axolotl since I didn't want it to ingest anything. There was no substrate in the petshop tank. Tank mate looked fine, only a small bite out of the top of its tail.

I actually did ask for a refund which is why I had to take the water in and they don't seem happy about giving it to me. I will be going back this weekend to talk to the guy who sold it to me as he actually seemed to know what he was talking about. I plan on taking my iPad with me to the store to show all the articles I found showing the pH ranges I found. The axolotl went from being really active in the shop to doing nothing when I put it in its new tank. I expected this since it was new; really didn't expect that it may have been a sign of ill health.

Amy

sounds like a bit of bad luck as you seem to have done your research before buying. :bounce: congratulations. I hope this doesn't put you off as Axo's are awesome pets.

btw just heard that glo-fish (or someone similar) have had a go at the axo's and you can now get glow in the dark ones

you are correct about the pH and ammonia toxicity but imo unless the tank was a goldfish bowl or the axo was a beast it shouldn't have been that much of an issue (you would have seen increased slime growth, agitation, gills flared forward and reddening) instead of it lay on its back and died.

always the possibility of an outside toxin (or curious cat/child)

Transport was a couple of hours including the time it took me to quickly fill its tank. I floated the bag in the tank for about 15 minutes to get it used to the temperature.

Hi Amy,

I'm sorry but you will hear this answer quite often. How long was your tank set up for before you added the Axolotl?

Most people recommend a month of cycling, or until fully cycled.

Did you use dechlorinator?

These are some of the basics that catch new owners out.

Hope this helps,

John

No worries about the questions; I would like to know what if anything I have done wrong.

My tank wasn't cycled (I know, I know - with my research I read that I could do a water change every day. Won't be repeating this again as I now know with my fish just how important it is to do a proper cycle. My fish are still alive so I am hoping/assuming that I am monitoring their tank correctly). I did use dechlorinator. The water test that the pet shop did indicated no chlorine, ammonia, nitrate, nitrites, and the kH and gH were okay as well (I think those last two are the correct terms?).

It did eat a tiny bit of meat. It was a tiny flake of meat as the axolotl was only 4 - 5cm long. There was more meat in the tank which I removed that afternoon as I didn't want it to decay and cause problems. It ate the day I came home to find it on it's back which made me think it could have been obstructed, but honestly can't think how an obstruction could occur after such a small amount of food.

The water was fresh into the tank on the same day the axolotl came home.

The tank is roughly 54l. Measurements are ~600 wide x ~300 deep x ~450 high.

It may have been an outside toxin, but as my other fish tank is in the same room and they are all fine I am not sure what it could have been, and none of the cats are allowed in my room. The only things I can think of that may have been the culprit was a big piece of driftwood that I put in its tank, but I bought this from the aquarium shop, or the pebbles which I bought from the Warehouse. Everything was rinsed of course before I put it in the tank but maybe there was something there that killed the poor little thing.

A glow in the dark axolotl?! Haha what will they think of next?!

Thank you all for your replies so far,

Amy

I've only ever kept one axolotl and he/she lived in a tank with a loose carbon filter and a couple of feeder fish for a good few years. Prior to me owning it, it spent around 10years living in a small plastic tank with no filter and just being cleaned once in a blue moon. They seem like very hardy creatures.

My tank wasn't cycled (I know, I know - with my research I read that I could do a water change every day.

I did use dechlorinator. The water test that the pet shop did indicated no chlorine, ammonia, nitrate, nitrites, and the kH and gH were okay as well (I think those last two are the correct terms?).

The water was fresh into the tank on the same day the axolotl came home.

Hmm... fresh water, no chlorine, no ammonia, nitrite, or nitrates. In my limited experience, I don't think water conditions was your COD.

Could it have been the "shock" of dropping in to your High Ph from what ever the acidic or neutral Ph was at the shop? Sudden fluctuations in Ph arnt good for any fish.

Shock could be a factor, but you would have to get them to test their own water, and they don't like to do that with customers around... :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...

wow really? i have to admit i haven't been back since i figured it would get me nowhere, but the baby is still in my freezer and i still have some tank water in the fridge. i will have to make time to go back this weekend. god poor little thing didn't stand a chance.

• 1 month later...

Yeah 4-5cm sounds pretty small to me. Mine must be at least 10cm long.

And I agree with FACEAnthrax... I don't think it was the water or PH. And they are hardy. It should have been fine. Sorry the pet shop are not taking responsibility and giving you a refund. You should write a letter to the manager. Also, if they're not legally allowed to sell them under 10cm and they still won't refund you you could contact MAF? Good luck! Don't give up yet.