Sand or gravel?

Belgianbiscuit

There is a mix of experience and opinion on this subject. I have a tank of each and find both fine for my purposes. I have also had a tank that had gravel on one side with a divider and sand on the other for the corydora. A little sand got swept over into the gravel but I didn't find it an issue. If you do a search on phoenix44 you will find he has a 3 foot tank that was heavily planted into gravel and then he rescaped it to have a river of sand in the middle and then went a bit further with it. Joe made a tank with sand lately also. I think Deepsound has also made some biotope type tanks with sand too.

Since you describe a situation where there aren't any bottom feeders I wouldn't think it mattered too much, it's up to your preference for the look you are trying to create or the plants you plan to grow (or not). People who want to grow hair grass or fine small plants will probably say sand is easier to plant the little stuff into.

I've just changed my 240ltr tank from autumn harvest gravel to sand, horrible stuff, drives me nuts :slfg:

Had planned on changing all of my tanks to sand but nope wont be doing that, have gone to medium white marble chip in the others, much better, I can actually dig around in the chip with the gravel vac and I don't lose any of it up the pipe.

With sand you really need to hover over the top of the sand with the gravel vac to pick up all the bits on the top, but usually I find by the time the tank has refilled there's crap on top of the sand already, so it never actually looks very clean. I'm abit of a clean freak :slfg: Hate dirty sand.

HTH

Lynda

I'm a sand person myself, after using both, albeit neither for very long :D

Silica Sand from trademe is pretty cheap, but depends on shipping I guess.

I found it more of a pain to vacuum gravel than cleaning sand, I just use a siphon hose off a gravel vac, and skim just above the surface of the sand.

You do lose some, but it looks so good.

I've used West Coast black sand, East Coast play sand (both from Landscape Supplies shops and about $10 for more kilos than I can lift) and silica sand (from petshops) and they were all fine for my purposes.

Of gravel I've got midnight fine gravel in one tank and have used brightwater and autumn harvest type gravels previously. Petshops are the easiest for small pea sized gravels as the landscape supplies shops tend to only go as small as about $2 coin sized.

Sand looks great, but it is really annoying to remove if you want to remove it - it compacts like hell, which is why I don't use it. Not saying its bad though. Heaps of people use it and love it. I do use it in terracotta pots to cap over the peat and JBL clay balls for my plants, so I only use like a handful per pot. But as a base substrate for a tank personally I don't like it. I prefer gravel. Really fine gravel or coarse sand would be the go :P

Joe has put it well,

Sand does look much nicer (in my opinion), but gravel is far more practical.

I personally have used sand for quite a while, and still much prefer it. I haven't had any problems with it. You do suck up small amounts when siphoning, but when you siphon you can hold the end of the hose about an inch over the sand and it will only get waste and not sand.

You can use Malaysian Trumpet Snails to help aerate and stop the sand from compacting as much, but snails can and often do take over a tank.

Sand is very cheap. You can get playsand or (I had) "Fine Sand" from mitre 10 mega.

Cost $8 for 20kg or something. It had a nice natural yellow look to it.

Oct24003-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Phoenix,

I am still leaning towards gravel as it seems sand is just more work but more than anything I want to start cycling my fish tank this weekend. Been waiting long enough now :-)

I have a bag of this sitting in the garage now

http://www.daltons.co.nz/home-gardening/retail-products/decorative-aggregates-and-pebbles/fine-decorative-pebble