Wanting to breed Cichlids.

dino

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I meant by this is that I thought the bugs for freshwater water systems are the same whether cold or tropical. So, moving a filter from a cold water tank to a tropical tank will just make them more active at the higher temperatures.

They do differ for a marine tank though.

I'd assume the risk is the same as taking from another tank to start a new tank. Except the pond is so much bigger that your average aquarium.

Pond also recieves ALOT less attention, and the fish ther-in aren't always visable.

Neither are potential parasites/diseases that they might be carrying.

From that link earlier:

Temperature

The temperature for optimum growth of nitrifying bacteria is between 77-86� F (25-30� C).

Growth rate is decreased by 50% at 64� F (18� C).

Growth rate is decreased by 75% at 46-50� F.

No activity will occur at 39� F (4� C)

Nitrifying bacteria will die at 32� F (0� C).

Nitrifying bacteria will die at 120� F (49� C)

Nitrobacter is less tolerant of low temperatures than Nitrosomonas. In cold water systems, care must be taken to monitor the accumulation of nitrites.

Again, this is their own brand/sub-species that they use, but is a good starting-block/ average, I think you'll find.

By far the EASIEST and FASTEST way:

1) Fill tank

2) Buy few small fish to start

3,4,5,6,7,8,9) Water Changes...

10) buy few more fish

Repeat 3-10

Media will help seed, but you will still be doing the above, REGARDLESS!

Fishless cycle is similiar, but add in constant testing for by-products, calculating values, measuring out ammonia, as well as all the above, and even after you add fish, You are still likely to have a "mini-cycle" anyway...

I know which I prefer.... :wink:

It seems obvious to me regardless of what is quicker easier etc.. hes ordered some pricey fish and why take the chance of introducing some nasties from an outdoor pond that could potentially wipe out his new stock, hey it might not happen, but it might.

My humble opinion get the tank cycled, Fishless, with fish or a pre seeded filter, get a test kit and keep an eye on ya parameters till you find a w/c schedule that works. Save yourself potential headaches and get set up right first time.

Plan of attack.

1. clean the tank

2. Add washed substrate and JBL Balls

3.plant the aquarium (heavily)

4. landscape it with wood and stones.

5. fill water

6. use 'used filter medium" in filter (canister)

now here is the bit that is a bit controversial.

7. Insure water PH is at a constant 7.0. (ph up or some shell media etc etc)

8. Introduce 4 kribs (2male 2 females) (got 4 that need an emergency home, so I am helping someone else out here)

9 Constantly test for high level ammonia, make daily/weekly water changes, if emergency introduce amrid.

10. watch for pairing, if pairing happens remove other fish.

I have a second tank available for the LC's or these Kribs.

Question do I get 1 male 2 females I can get hold of 1-3 females.

I never did that with mine. I don't think it really matters with kribs and Laetacara. Just put a male and a female in a tank and leave them to it. When I got mine the guy I got them from just grabbed a random male and a random female out of the tank. Same thing with all of my Apistos. And they've all been fine.

first.jpg

Here is the tank, there is lots of drift wood coming to cover the heater, java ferns will be added to wood. Plants are new awaiting growth. larger plants at the back

The rocks were boulders that nearly crashed through our house in Sumner. This was a great exercise with my son, we chiseled away with hammer.

PH level at 7.9, ammonia at zero as no fish, but I do have amrid if needed when I add fish slowly.

Any further suggestions much appreciated.

Might need to get the pH down a bit. Check those rocks to see if they are raising the pH. This can be done by pouring vinegar over them. If they fizzle then they contain minerals (not sure exactly what ones) which will raise the pH.

That waffle leaf plant to the left of the rocks doesn't grow submerged and will rot. It will need to be removed.

Also I'm not sure what sort of Alternanthera that is but it doesn't look like an aquatic one.

Try and get some Echinodorus bleheri/amazonicus. This grows quite fast and looks nice and will suck up some of the ammonia in your tank.

Also instead of the hairgrass, Echinodorus tenellus will probably be easier to grow and will form a thick bushy carpet which will use up nutrients and provide the fry with more cover.

Do lots of water changes which will help the water clear faster.

Here is the tank, there is lots of drift wood coming to cover the heater.

Covering it up too much is not a good idea.

You have it perfect at the moment (IMO) on the angle, and then you have the heater gaurd, if you cover it up too much, you risk slowing the water-flow over the heater. This has 2 effects.

1) Limiting amount of water that is heated (creating a "hot-pocket" if you will)

2) This can turn the heater off pre-maturely

Both endup not heating efficiently.

Just make sure you have addequate space/flow around the heater.

Other than that, sound like you are right on track :thup:

Most of those are aquatic, but have been grown emersed. They will take a wee while to convert to submerged growth.

I see "Alternanthera rubra" is ticked. That would be the one in the photo. It grows in moist conditions but cannot grow fully submerged.

ok I am a bit concerned with filtration, as you pointed out joe, the one that comes with my ar620 is not doing much. Do I go internal or external, how do the two types match up.

I want it to be quite, inexpensive to run(low wattage??) slightly wary of cost, and suitable for my tank. what happens to my lovely biological compartment in my ar620 does that become obsolete.

A Fish is coming in two days!

Dino.

Definately go external. Build-in filters and internal filters do not have decent media capacity. In fact I don't even know why companies even bother making them!

Eheim or Fluval are the way to go. They are both very good quality and come with very good quality media. Also external filters don't cost much to run.

Some cheap filters are OK but they don't come with quality media. So then you will have to buy some and it is very expensive on its own so it is just easier to buy a good quality filter straight from the start.

• 4 weeks later...

Really is fun, these fish are such good parents, the mum did have a hard time with previous owners, but I think she is happy now.

My boy loves it.

We are setting up a grow out tank, we will then try to breed dwarf cichlids.

Just like to thanks all those that have helped me.

Dino.

yes I am, I have ordered some from organism, I just need to do something with these fish, I have a grow out for the fry, then I will have to sell the krib pair. &c:ry

The fry are strange looking animals :smln:

The lady from organism has informed me that the two laetacara look very similar so they may not be a pair, they are not fighting though.

They are growing really quickly parents are great. they seem to have fed of their egg sac and now eating decap shrimp.

I noticed the mum churning the gravel for the fry to feed off.

also read this article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_9139000/9139756.stm now this applies to discus, but I have seen this happening with the kribs, the fry peck at the parents, and parents just allow them to. if you put a threatening colour next to the tank, the parents shake and the fry just fall to the ground. Very Intresting.

The parents are still attentive, no sign of breeding again which is a good thing.