Increasing oxygen levels in tall tank.

zeebee

So air stones actually work at dissolving oxygen into the water?

I thought they were for decoration :facepalm:

A small amount of aeration from the bubbles, but the vast majority due to circulating water from the bottom of the tank up to the top and disturbing the surface.

So air stones actually work at dissolving oxygen into the water?

I thought they were for decoration :facepalm:

:rotf:

But seriously, an airstone hooked up to an air pump will work out to be cheaper than a powerhead. Air pumps generally use less power and cause less water current for the fish than powerheads.

:rotf:

But seriously, an airstone hooked up to an air pump will work out to be cheaper than a powerhead. Air pumps generally use less power and cause less water current for the fish than powerheads.

Current is a good thing.

if you hae a canister, just lift the outlet so it isnt submerged, this is plenty.

unless your tank is heavily stocked, you dont need that muc aeration

but in saying that, it can only be good to have heaps of oxygen!

air stone with a pump is good, you cant really beat that when it comes to aerating.

but if you have a sump system and over flow, that is plenty of oxygen, more than enough that is required.

A small amount of aeration from the bubbles, but the vast majority due to circulating water from the bottom of the tank up to the top and disturbing the surface.

Are you sure about this, Ira? I'd have thought the surface area of all those bubbles would exceed the area of the water's surface? :dunno: