DIY 330L Tank Build (with pics)

fishy-fish

I scored another bunch of glass so thought I'd use a couple of sheets to make a new tank.

I was governed by the glass sizes so I had the choice of a couple of oddball sizes, but in the end, I decided on extra length over extra width and went with a 1408(L) x 535(W) x 438(H). The bottom sheet is 7mm glass. Front, back and sides are 6mm and the bracing is 5mm.

6mm glass sheet 1930x864

P1010183.jpg

7mm glass sheet 1408x700

P1010186.jpg

Finished tank getting water tested

P1010250.jpg

At this stage I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I have a heavy duty steel frame thats 2.9m long which could fit two tanks this size with room for sumps underneath, so that could be the plan... or I may just sell it. I have a bit more glass at the mo including some 10 and 12mm sheets so I may just have a go at building a decent display tank with that and move my current 540L out to the garage.

In the meantime, if anyone is keen on having a tank built, or wants this one, flick me a PM :thup:

eek, I hope it survives...

The glass calculator doesn't like those dimensions, but it does look nice.

lol, what glass calculator are you using? The tank will be fine. It's completely full and has zero bowing. The saftey factors on glass calcs are normally a huge overkilll...

...unless you live in Christchurch! :o

There is a calculator on the main site that calculates safety factor etc for tanks, I wouldn't want this tank in my house around my kids with a safety factor that low.

The reason the calcs are an overkill is to make up for imperfections in glass or any external factors (earthquakes, people bumping tank etc), especially when using second hand glass. People have had tanks let go so violently hat glass has been thrown across fish rooms and gone through 10mm tanks, not something you would want you or your kids in the way of.

In saying that I have seen tanks with lower safety factors that are fine its just allot more risk.