disadvantage of overflowing tank

GrahamC

http://zeroedgeaquarium.com/classic-overview/

This is a marine tank, but I guess it could be anything. Water overflows all 4 sides and down the sides being oxygenated in the process. It falls into the perimeter drain, then to the sump, and then pumped back again into the tank via the bottom.

I'd imagine it would be quite good at clearing dust from the room! And perhaps growing algae. No finger prints on the glass walls.

Disadvantages?

fish jumping out of the tank is one ..

If your tanks not completely level it's going to be more water on inside than the other. Good idea though they had water features like that in Sinagpore, people with brooms out there early morning cleaning up algae and people trimming the grass...

It would be an awesome tank though. Something to put in your wall maybe :

Edit:

Also maybe the splash when it goes from tank to the sump? Also if it's saltwater won't you have a lot of evaporation due to a high amount of surface area and a volume?

Edit:

Another thought, wouldn't it have an unsteady temperature? As as it slides down the wall of the tank it will be cooled? Fixed by having two heaters one in tank where the water flows in and one in the sump... Just thinking about this...

I was thinking that a 20x turnover pump would push 1L over per second in a 180L tank. So it may not if it sticks to the glass (may not splash) but in a tall tank it could? :dunno:

But it could be a good idea to have a dip in the bit that catches the water from the tank (like waterfalls create a dip kind of thing)?

A waterfall in my lounge is probably a bit over the top for me ... I was just looking at different designs :)

Heat loss for a cold water aquarium should not be an issue, but yes, I imagine it might be for a marine tank because you also lack any insulation on the sides.

One of the limitations to stock levels is said to be the surface area of the tank. This design cleverly overcomes that by massively increasing the surface area down the sides.

A waterfall in my lounge is probably a bit over the top for me ... I was just looking at different designs :)

Heat loss for a cold water aquarium should not be an issue, but yes, I imagine it might be for a marine tank because you also lack any insulation on the sides.

One of the limitations to stock levels is said to be the surface area of the tank. This design cleverly overcomes that by massively increasing the surface area down the sides.

Heat loss on many marine tanks, especially reefs is a GOOD thing. It's a struggle to keep the tank cool.

Eh. What about on tropical marines? :digH: I don't know much about marines but I'd assume it'd be similar to tropical freshwater for heating? Proving your not running metal halides, or any other massive heat sources (with the exception of the heater) and a room temperature lower than the tank temperature why would it over heat?

I'm guessing that for any significant quake no amount of lip at the base is going to stop the water reaching the floor. So, this design would not be suitable for quake prone areas. If you just wanted the extra aeration, you could drill lots of tiny holes at the water line below the top of a lipped tank and let it all flow down the sides. But you would destroy the desired effect at the top. The glass at the water line presumably is not under high load, and this is a braceless design.

Or, just have a polished floor, or vinyl, knowing that you might have to mop occasionally.

• 4 weeks later...