My fish tank newbie

JS1987

Remove the ornament - it looks hideous and detracts from the whole layout.

Otherwise brilliant setup :hail: :thup: A group of Celestial Pearl Danios (Danio margaritatus) or Chilli Rasboras (Boraras brigittae) would look great in there :P

Also remove that waffle leaf plant that's just behind the rock on the right hand side. It isn't a true aquatic plant (it's actually a bog plant and likes to grow out of water) and it will start to rot submersed. Replace it with some Echinodorus parviflorus which looks very similar and is a true aquatic plant. And some Windelov fern would look really nice growing on the wood :)

Hey guys Jacob was asking for suggestions not your own personal opinions on his setup - each to their own guys.

Jacob it looks good and I love the placement of the stones and driftwood. Great for a newbie :D

My only suggestion would be to find a background for the tank it would help disguise your cables at the back. Hopefully you can find one that is that tall.

-K.

They are suggestions, which are based on personal opinions. It would be hard to make suggestions without any opinions at all.

and get rid of the stick-on thermometer, they don't work well at all, and it distracts the eye.

a cheap glass in-tank thermometer is exactly that, cheap... and a hellova more accurate... :thup:

+1

I like the tank layout. I didn't really even notice the statue until it was pointed out. Once the plants have grown more and spread out it won't be as noticeable (not that I thought it was).

I reckon its a good effort for a new tank. :D It looks heaps better than my first tank did zillions of years ago when the dinosaurs still roamed :wink:

Can't work out whats wrong with a stick on thermometer, I have them on all mine, although on my display tank its on the side. Just wondering what is meant by an intank glass thermometer, are you referring to one that bobs all over the place once the suction cup gets sick of sticking?

I don't know if you are familiar with backgrounds for tanks. You can buy them from the lfs and attach them to the outside at the back of the tank. Some people paint their backgrounds black or blue (black is my preference) by painting the outside of the tank. Other people either spend heaps by purchasing moulded backgrounds from their lfs and putting them inside their tanks or there are plenty of threads on here about back grounds being made out of polystyrene and painted etc. Backgrounds mostly hide the cables etc which are dangling outside the tank but if you make or purchase ones for inside the tank you can hide your heaters etc behind them.

I think matching the colour of the statue with the rocks was a good idea, makes more of a theme than if you'd just plopped it in without. Soon the plants will grow and his head will be poking out like in an undersea world. :smln:

Thank you all for the kind and funny comments haha yeah i actually brought more ornaments put them in and i was like yuck don't like it left Neptune in there (put the other two on TM) and yeah as some of you guys said the plants will grow *fingers crossed* and it will become better. To the first comment about that bog plant i don't like it i was maybe going to take it out and put some more ambuila and it does look like its starting to rot a bit at the base... was thinking some java moss for my driftwood when i get it more established.

Can't work out whats wrong with a stick on thermometer, I have them on all mine, although on my display tank its on the side. Just wondering what is meant by an intank glass thermometer, are you referring to one that bobs all over the place once the suction cup gets sick of sticking?

when (if) they give a reading, it is of the Glass temperature, not the water temperature. They are notoriously in-accurate, hard to read (if it between temps, or close, it will show 2 or 3 readings at a time, making them hard to interpret) and they also (in my opinion) look pants.

aquarium-thermometer.jpg

try tell me what temp this tank is? is it 24,25,26 or 27???

The glass "bobbing" ones you describe are much better at doing their job of being a thermometer, AND can be tucked out the way. :thup:

19_1007pic.jpg

You have to be careful with ornaments. I learnt the hard way. I had a castle which i got on TM. Little did I realise that my fat Oranda was going to get trapped inside, whereupon one of the other goldies nibbled ( or whatever they do) on his caudal tail. That was months ago and there's still a black streak where it is healing. So, for fancy goldfish, the advice I've read is no ornaments, no wrong size gravel that they can get stuck in their mouths, and no fake plants.

I did have one of those floating plastic boxes used for breeding, and I had some plants in it that I didn't want the goldfish to eat. It has been there for months, and today I found a comet inside! It must have jumped over the side to get in. So, looks like no floating plastic boxes either!

I've found that those stick on plastic thermometers stop working after a while. I've got several tanks second hand where they no longer register the temperature. They are said to measure the outside glass temperature, or even room temperature, and I've noticed discrepancies between in tank electronic probes and the stick on ones with the latter taking a long time to catch up. But they are cheap.

Sorry Graham, but I cant help how dumb goldfish are :wink:

They got to be smarter then bristlenoses ... they seem to get themselves trapped into any nook or cavity and peg it there!

And I've yet to see a bristlenose push a soccer ball between goal posts as goldies can be taught :slfg: (Nope, I will not buy a goldfish training DVD and kit)

You have to be careful with ornaments. I learnt the hard way. I had a castle which i got on TM. Little did I realise that my fat Oranda was going to get trapped inside, whereupon one of the other goldies nibbled ( or whatever they do) on his caudal tail. That was months ago and there's still a black streak where it is healing. So, for fancy goldfish, the advice I've read is no ornaments, no wrong size gravel that they can get stuck in their mouths, and no fake plants.

I can speak from experience regarding the gravel. Had a goldfish who was appropriately nicknamed "stoner" as he had a habit of ingesting flat stones then getting them stuck by trying to push them out of his month width ways instead of the way it must have gone in. Many a time I had to take him out and remove it with tweezers. Of course I would throw each stone out everytime - it was the traditional fruit salad :-?

I can speak from experience regarding the gravel. Had a goldfish who was appropriately nicknamed "stoner" as he had a habit of ingesting flat stones then getting them stuck by trying to push them out of his month width ways instead of the way it must have gone in. Many a time I had to take him out and remove it with tweezers. Of course I would throw each stone out everytime - it was the traditional fruit salad :-?

I read of one owner who lost their goldfish this way to gravel impacting in their mouth. In PFK there was an x-ray of some other type of fish with a plastic sucker stuck in their mouth too.