New tank, new filter... there may be a faster way...

Sheepsnana

Hi All,

I have a new 300L tank and a new CF1000 filter. I have an existing 247L tank and an existing CF1200 filter. Existing setup is stocked and parameters are perfect.

Can I hook up the CF1000 to the CF1200 to start building up bacteria in the CF1000?

(Water comes out of Tank -> into CF1000. Out of CF1000 -> into CF1200. Out of CF1200 -> back into Tank)

I have plenty of time to let this happen while I wait for substrate and for the driftwood to sink.

Let me know you thoughts, or if anyone has tried this before.

just run it on your existing tank

I'ld rather have them both running and ready for when the next tank is ready. I don't want the CF1200 to dry out.

Or just transfer some media.

I would be tempted to wash the sponges of the cf1200 in tank water, and then use that water to full up the canister of the cf1000 and then run the two on the old tank untill the new one is ready to start.

The CF1200 was cleaned out only week before last, so the bacteria is still rebuilding in the CF1200, especially on the sponges.

As for a new tank I normally top up the new tank with 50%-80% of old water from existing tank, even with new filter pumps there are should be plenty of good bacteria in the old water introduce. :smln:

I was planning on this also. 50% to each tank, and rest filled with new dechlorinated water. Wasn't sure about the water carrying the bacteria, they like to cling to surfaces, or so I've heard.

If I disconnected the CF1200 and replaced it with the CF1000, there should be enough bacteria in the tank (glass, substrate, etc) to maintain the water parameters, but I don't want the CF1200 to dry out, and I wanted to prevent having a new filter on an old tank and a cycled filter on a new tank - it's two possible ammonia spikes instead of one.

That's what he means. Run them both on the existing tank til you're ready to fill up the new one, then transfer the new filter to it. Simple :wink:

That sounds simple, but with my current tank, it's not. I had to sand the glass for hours to get the CF1200 tubes to fit, there is no room for a larger filter intake/outtake, let alone additional intake/outtakes.

Which is why I asked if running one filter into the other would work. I'm guessing noone has tried this?

Not even at the front where you feed them from? It's only temporary after all. I don't think it would be a good idea running two different sized filters (let alone the same sized ones) in series. I think it would cause stress on the motors?

If you have the smaller one pumping water into the larger one, I don't see an issue until the water flow speed picks up enough to be running faster than the smaller one can handle. In which case, I could turn it off, which shouldn't alter the force required for the second one to pump the water.

Why not just do it the easy way? are you worried how it will look? (temporarily)

I actually have no way of getting another filter into the existing tank.

The tank is braced on all four sides, a good 60mm or so across. There is one very small hole in each corner at the back of the tank, but nothing at the front or sides that could let anything else in.

I could try raising the filter so that it is closer to the top of the tank, and then dumping the tube ends into the front of the tank, cane-like tubes and all, but I would rather not, as the risk of them flying out would be quite high.

a bit slow here but I would split the media from the established tank filter into half and put half in the new filter and put one of the sponges from the filter that has been running into the new filter as well - 2 if its a 4 basket filter (I can't remember).