20,000 Ltr Tank"/ 5000Ltr

Jaxxnz

Im currently having a spare space in my little storage room, and going crazy flipping the coin to build a 20,000ltr tank..

Concrete back wall & side wall, as to tank base are tile floor"

Filteration would not be a big issues, but might having trouble with heating tank..

Im thinking using one of those Warm Up" under floor heating"

filter are sump on each side wall and also centre sump"

NOw biggest concern are the front Glass Panel" (HELPPPPPPP)

i could order 15-20mm glass panel.. :smln: :smln:

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Do we have a friendly engineer in this forum that could help me please??

Aweome! :thup:

Untill u get algae.... Then ur gonna have to go swimming! :sml1:

since i have a large tank already, i find the best & cheap simple long brush would reach into any surface..these day i dont even bother using the magnet glass cleaner. :thup:

I have seen a 3m x 3m x 3m triangle tank, 2.4m high. It was built into a living room.

He got the engineers from Kelly Tarlton's to design the glass. I would suggest the same.

I have seen a 3m x 3m x 3m triangle tank, 2.4m high. It was built into a living room.

This size of tank really reminding me of the tank at Mermaid" :gigl: :gigl:

exciting

i was actually looking into this type of build - not 20k litres though because the heating bill for that is HUGE! and maintenance.

many overseas use under tile heating, but from what i gather, especially wtih a huge tank like that, make sure the room is insulated. Also, maybe incorporate a simple solar heating method with black hoses, you can get this unit for swimming pools.

Heating wtih underfloor heating may be difficult, it will require many KW to heat it.

A friend of mine is a heating/cooling engineer and she said for that volume, good idea to go Gas/water heat exchanger. very efficient and cheap to run - if you have gas in your house already, thats even easier!

FIltration would be easy, you can build in a sump on sides as you said

as for glass in front, if you use glass, it has to be exceptionally thick, that CAN distory color and image and a green haze but it doesnt scratch, acrylic in the other hand, i have heard panaques and plecos scratching acrylic - but lighter and better visibility.

To be honest, for that type of set up, i would post on MFK because overseas, that type of set up is actually extremely common while in NZ its not and our experiences here is not as much.

as for stocking, come on! you hvae to have monsters in there!! :bounce:

a huge tank like that, yo have to have the pacu, aros, giant gourami and anything else that gets huge lol

my next build is a 4000 litre aro comm, not enough large fish in nz to have a truly monster tank IMO! david and i have this discussion frequently lol

Yeah I was also thinking about importing in some solar heating unit from oversea..

As to the price tags..I was doing some home work to day, i would needed 3x 2.400 panels of 25mm/min.

Mouldford Plastics $$1,200 per sheet,

Lee engineering labour welding acrylic $$3,000

$4,500

The rest such as block work and tiling are my specialty :yaw1:

The true is since i cant have an out door pond for my midas, i was thinking a large tank for the group :facepalm:

if you do tiling and block work, then that is ideal! you wont need anyone to do it for you:d

that saves pretty much 50 to 70% of the construction cost if i was to contract someone to do it.

its the heating that costs.

but its doa ble, 20k litres is HUGE thoughf ro just midas, i guess each to their own when it comes to fish preference :dunno:

Any active volcanoes around there to grab the heating from? Are huge heated aquaria more common in regions like Rotorua where there may be free year round heat?

Our weather here are just too cold when its come to winter, I think most Asia countries dont really needs heater, has the perfect weather temps for most trocial fish. :smln:

Lee Davis I think was the guy name who did Kelly tarltons,

Henward is right about the prices tags thou..

$3,000 just to do the welding of 3 panels..

Ok cheapo time now, i might scrap the mode of 20k ltr and might just cut down to 1x 2.4m panel so cut out the big cost

Cut it down to 6 metres in length and use two 2.4m acrylic (or glass) panels for windows with a central support.

2.4x1.2x2= (5k ltr) :nilly: Its the length it really matter right guys :digH:

5k litres is still huge! Big bill heating it if you can't keep the room well insulated and warm. I certainly wouldn't bother welding one big long window if you're doing a long tank, either just stick with 2.4M window length (or how ever long you can get a single sheet of glass/acrylic) or use a central support. Could go for a 3x3x1M "cube" with 2.4M windows in three sides...