Royal Whiptail spawn

Nymox

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I have only had the male for a few weeks now, he sure didn't waste time. I am far too tired to do some research tonight but I'll look into it tomorrow, hopefully I already have what I need. Just happy they're happy enough with life to spawn more than anything.

So dependig on how old those eggs are they dont look fertile

easy to spawn...my pair go every month or so.

fry are free swimming after about 5-7 days and survive on egg sack for another day or so

after that is where things turn a variety of shapes but mostly pear

I would suggest that once you see that the eggs are fertile that you use a razor blade etc to scrape them off the glass and into a tumbler. I usually place the tumbler in a very well aged tank

This tank has a good layer of mulm on the bottom and a simple sponge filter on low whilst tumbling

once the eggs hatch I turn tumbler off and crank up the sponge

they fry are VERY lazy and you suffer a lot of loss

most google searchs suggest that between 2-4 weeks is the critical time and I have to agree

Good luck with yours and happy to help if you need it

Nav

Thanks Nav that helps a lot. I can see the young inside the eggs this morning so they are indeed fertile. Looking at them my guess is this is the 3rd day. I have a large sump on this tank with nothing more then 1 guppy, so I'll feed him to the discus and get it ready for any fry I just might manage to catch. I would rather let the male keeping guarding this lot as it is his first spawn and I want to encourage him to continue charming the female. I have huge amounts of live food, from green water and daphnia to blood worms and bbs, they are panamense so insect larvae and eggs would be my best bet I think. After this spawn is well over I will put the pair in the sump and see what happens. The only catfish I have ever managed to spawn are corydora, and the thrill soon wears off when you have hundreds of them.

DSCF4075.jpg

Huge feeds of live bloodworms and daphnia is about the best way I can spoil him, he went nuts over the blood worms and dragonfly eggs, but finds the daphnia a little tricky to catch. His new wife has the skill tapped down she's a veteran daphnia hunter, really cool to watch. I hope I can catch the next spawn on video, will mount the underwater camera in soon anyway and do a live feed so I can check on my tank even when I'm not home, using adruino chips to set control for the pumps connected to the live food stores too so I can either have them automated or remotely triggered. Spoilt?

I do hope you will supply me with an article about this Nymox :wink: :bounce: :bow::hail:

Perhaps. I have 2 articles yet to complete for you, just been snowed under so badly lately since I graduated I have been doing many papers to try and get myself some work but it has been far from easy. There will also be an article about my trip to opiaki. Not many photo's as kiwi don't take to kindly to a flash and the night shots didn't work out. But its an interesting place none the less and plenty of scenery shots and Robins, Grey warbler and a few funky insects. Its heavily guarded by Moari, and then Doc so even getting to step foot in such a place is an absolute privilege.

The first article is about how and why to write articles for AQ magazine so I'll finish that one up asap ;)

when they are nearly ready to hatch i lower the water level then scrap them off with a razor blade, and put them into a cut down milk bottle with holes i poked around all the sides with a hot fork, then i feed spiralina ? powder from the chemist, i found this works the best as they are "lazy eaters" and need force feeding when young

Thanks guys, I'll try the lowering water method as most of my problems with the cory eggs were scraping them off without breaking them, the angle of the blade looks different through water and made it difficult to judge, I have very far from surgeons hands so it tends to make the job a little trickier. I also realised these are S. festivum not Panamense silly me, thought the fin extension thing was the other way around :facepalm: