Hello!

FishyNoob

Wow, yay for you guys and your awesome forums :D

My name is Alex and I live with my hubby, 2 kids, 14 pet rats, dog, cat and foster kitten in Rangiora, Canterbury!

I've not had a heck of a lot of experience with fish - bar having goldfish and danios at various stages of my life. Yesterday I was at the local sallies shop and scored an excellent 200L aquarium for $150 and all the fittings (I know, deal right?) which I plan to plant out and populate with lots of pretty coloured tropicals!

To save me from photospamming you all, heres a link to my facebook folder with the pics of the Aquarium.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150543633327383.393920.639707382&type=1

Now, it's absolutely filthy dirty - looks like it's been stored outside for ages for the amount of pollen on it.. its also got left over nasty scaly stuff in the filter area which I can assume can be cleaned out? I plan on cycling the tank empty for a few months to get it into pristine condition before I plant it out and ad fish!

Also, whats the deal with this type of media filter? I've only ever had experience with those plastic aqua-one type thingees. Any advice or help would be appreciated! xox

Hi and welcome. For some reason the link doesn't work for me. I get.....

''This content is currently unavailable

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.''

You should be able to clean the scale off with a razor blade.

Redwoods are great and another good LFS is Organism in Ilam.