Angry Wasps

LisaC

Does anyone know of a good exterminator for wasps? We have a wasp nest by our front door, and I am allergic to bee & wasp stings and am rather concerned about the whole thing.

They were in an aloe plant which hubby took to last night to reveal the nest. It is too big for him to deal with, and all day today they have been angry.

So I guess my question is, does anyone know an exterminator who comes the same day you call them (and doesn't cost the earth - unless the two are inseparable)?

Thanks in advance

Lisa

How are you allergic to both wasps and bees?

I am severely allergic to bees, but wasps have a very different venom.

Do you know what kind of wasp it is? Different wasps can be dealt with in different ways:

Some wasps are underground nesters and a flea bomb thrown in works wonders :thup:

Others are outside nesters with paperlike nests - these are fun. Spray linx (not fly spray) then ignite. Spraying flyspray straight away will just piss them all off. not as much fun.

Wasp nest are best dealt to at night when the wasps are inside the nests asleep. I suggest you look into getting a professional round to remove it as they can be quite nasty when they are not happy.

:digH:

I destroyed a nest once with petrol at night, but I would not recommend it if it is in the house. The nest I destroyed was in the ground at the back of a large property. (I gave into temptation and peer pressure and ignited the nest. Lesson learned, do not forget about the child in the shower in the house 40metres away who is using all the water pressure and leaves you with nothing to control the fire with. I killed the nest, but also lost half a hedge in doing so. :gigl: )

Lesson learned, do not forget about the child in the shower in the house 40metres away who is using all the water pressure and leaves you with nothing to control the fire with. I killed the nest, but also lost half a hedge in doing so. :gigl: )

:sml1:

Thanks Simon. Am really wanting to get it done straight away as they are even more annoyed after tonight's investigations.

When you kill the nest in the ground at night you pour 1/2 cup of petrol down the entrance then put a shovel full of moist dirt over the top to seal it. You do not light it as it is the petrol fumes that kill them. I have killed heaps of nests that way but you do it at night when they have all returned to the nest. Fly spray contains a synergist which speeds up their metabolic rate and they become like syringes on P. You can also buy poisons which they carry into the nest. I can't remember when it is but part of the year you use sugar and the rest protein (meat) as bait. I must confess that mostly we used organochlorides which have now been prohibited.

When you kill the nest in the ground at night you pour 1/2 cup of petrol down the entrance then put a shovel full of moist dirt over the top to seal it.
+1

As a beekeeper this is how we destroy wasp nests, well a small drinks bottle 1/2 filled and push that down the entrance

When you kill the nest in the ground at night you pour 1/2 cup of petrol down the entrance then put a shovel full of moist dirt over the top to seal it. You do not light it as it is the petrol fumes that kill them. I have killed heaps of nests that way but you do it at night when they have all returned to the nest. Fly spray contains a synergist which speeds up their metabolic rate and they become like syringes on P. You can also buy poisons which they carry into the nest. I can't remember when it is but part of the year you use sugar and the rest protein (meat) as bait. I must confess that mostly we used organochlorides which have now been prohibited.

I know that :sml2: Temptation got the better of me :nilly:

Those paper wasps (the German ones or are they different?) die from fly spray. Their sting is a nasty sharp one. I am allergic to bees but those wasps just hurt, no swelling or anything else.

Ring your local council. They will have someone to send out.

I mixed Wasp killing powder with raspberry jam and tipped it in and around the nest entrance. they all took it into the nest and ate it. the nest was dead in a few days. spraying the powder into the entrance also works, the worker wasps spread it around the nest as they go in and out.

My neighbour in Wellington did the petrol thing too and lit it. Took out half the clay bank but didn't kill all of them. Funny fat German man doing his Linford Christie impersonation down the street.

I poured old engine oil down the holes of the one I had and never saw another wasp come out.

In the past we have taken leaves or twigs that the nest was attached to, (after dark of course, when you can hear them snoring) chop off the bit it's attached to, and put the whole thing in a plastic bag and then in the freezer. After a few days I put the whole thing in the outside bin and that was that.

Thanks for all the replies. This evening hubby donned all sorts of protective gear and dumped a whole lot of No Wasps (basically Carbaryl) on it, only to discover that a friend (landscaper) does it for his clients all the time :-?

Anyway, they were covered in it, flying in and out of the nest, so will wait until they are good and dead before we investigate