Allergic reaction to Riccia

mcrudd

Draw out about half a dozen 1" squares on your arm then pull some riccia and duckweed out of the tank. Rinse it well because you don't want to test the water too. Then rub each firmly for a minute on a square. Then try just straight tank water on another, bloodworms on another and whatever common fishfood you use on another.

What's that? Five? Find something else for the last square. :)

And wash your hands/change gloves between them so you don't get any transfer between the tests.

Good idea Ira. I will give that a go, very good idea :thup:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or just keep doing what you're doing, change nothing, and take an antihistamine if it gets too itchy.

I get that sort of rash from gardening too, and some foods give me a puffed up lower lip. Not muffins though, thank goodness.

Be nice to know what causes it so you can avoid it rather than just treating the symptoms.

IMAG0505.jpg

Part one done, water test do not look to bad that I would say it will cause a rash. Fish seem happy and full of life too. So now to start drawing squares on my hand and seperate the riccia from the duckweed :thup:

Sophia not even antihistamine is making it go away and it itches like a sandfly bite :nilly:

1 Brineshrimp

2 Duckweed

3 Bloodworms

4 Poo ( yeah I know :sick: ) But I had a lot in the water due to more bottomfeeders

5 Tank water

6 Riccia

IMAG0508.jpg

How long should I leave this on ?

I can go months without getting a reaction therefore I have never tried to isolate the cause It takes several days for my rash to disappear and then it will return but not as badly the next couple of times I clean the tanks out, then disappears altogether, just to return when I am not expecting it.

Good luck with finding the cause but I have the feeling you will get no definite result for all your efforts today.

hahaha this is great. 'Diagnosis by forum' or 'It takes a village to raise a rash'

what news McRash?

You should see the reaction within half an hour, otherwise it's probably not strictly allergic/contact dermatitis.

Once I tried to do this with something I can't remember - some plant or other I knew gave me a rash. I actually scratched my arm with a pin and rubbed the stuff in and nothing happened. :sml2:

Nothing yet to my rash followers :nilly:

But then again I worked half the day in my tank and the rash only showed the next day, so we will see tomorrow morning. Sophia revenge is hedding your way too LOL this year I will be seeking revenge by the looks of it :rotf:

Mcrash UHM :oops: Mcrudd signing off