Allergic reaction to Riccia

mcrudd

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, Sorry I got distracted, the whole family were competing on who could cath the albino bass first. I won :thup: and it was a B.O.S.S so I am over the moon. The riccia was guilty. It must be some sort of grass, because I am allergic to grass. It was not as cool as I thought by the whole little square being covered in a rash, but there was itchyness and a few bumps in and around nr 6 :wink:

You two just want poor McRash to have to explain what the little itchy squares are on her arms to other people, don't you? :nilly:

Yeah :nilly: as it is, I forgot about all the squares drawn on me the day I did it later in the evening, and my friend returned from her holiday so I had to return her dog's stuff I had while taking care of her dog. She just kept on glancing at my arm, eventually I caught on and explained :oops:

Decided to keep the Riccia its too pretty to remove. So I will see if it happens this bad again with the next waterchange, if it does, then I will try out the gloves for cows, if that is too tricky then I will remove it and try and get duckweed only, it makes the tank look so nice, and I noticed my harlequins enjoying a bite every now and then as well :wink:

Hubby is going to do my waterchange this Saturday and tomorrow he will remove all the duckweed/riccia. I have just returned from the pharmacy with a cortisone/steroid cream and she said if it does not clear up in a week I would have to go to the doc for a sterioid/cortisone injection :o It flared up because I tried feeding zombie with the glove and he did not eat, so I took the glove off to feed him. Then he swam a bit lower and my arm went a bit deeper without realising. I vigorously washed it, but worse went to worse. Ah well :( I loved the look of the duckweed and riccia, but its impossible to split the two

Its all great ideas, but zombie is my completely blind Harlequin, he seems to know its foodtime if I put my hand in and hold the frozen foods for him to nibble first. The others get broken up in the tank once I know his tummy is full. I used to put a jbl nova tab against the window, but now the bristlenoses take over there and poor Zombie loses out. So to be sure he feeds I need to handfeed him. Tried tweezers before, because I use them for feeding my puffers bloodworms, but zombie does not take to that. I think its best to just patiently wait until duckweed by itself is available again. It will happen :wink:

Below is little Zombie.

IMAG0156.jpg

urf, that is not a happy ending. :facepalm:

Though I can testify that I have PAINSTAKINGLY picked duckweed out of riccia before ... it is doable if you like watching paint dry and grass grow. Or you could buy a new batch from someone, it's usually only about $5 on TM

That took a long time, that was a bad reaction you had. Did you get rid of all the surface plants in the end?

Yes my hubby scooped them out, I gave them to my neighbour she has a goldfish pond, did not know they could nibble away on it so fast LOL. I have a few floating about, but even my fish is taking those ones out, so soon there will be none :( I really loved the look of them, but I love tending to my fishtanks too, and not doing my own waterchanges or feeding my beloved little zombie is no fun :facepalm: