5.8 shake Christchurch

alanmin4304

We've been on Facebook and text messaging and most other locals seem ok, just some water on the floor, no other casualties. I was standing by the fish racks for one of the aftershocks and it was very creepy listening to the sound of the wall bracings working to hold the shelves up... :o

Glad everyone is ok. Going to put the star back on the tree now...

We've been on Facebook and text messaging and most other locals seem ok, just some water on the floor, no other casualties. I was standing by the fish racks for one of the aftershocks and it was very creepy listening to the sound of the wall bracings working to hold the shelves up... :o

Glad everyone is ok. Going to put the star back on the tree now...

well atleast the bracing worked :wink:

why?? :-? wouldnt it have fallen if it didnt work?

Just that things can only wiggle so much before they give way. I hope there is still a lot of wiggle room left and the braces aren't all just ready to pop out of the wall now!

Just an update, everyone I have heard from so far is doing ok, mostly just water everywhere. Lots of offers for help so if anyone needs anything, just let me know.

i got hold of her this arvo, lots of water all over the place but nothing broken. she had a couple of her neighbours helping her set up a fibreglass pond outside just in case.

we had lots of water splash onto the floor which i cleaned up and foolishly refilled the tanks only to have a bigger one hit and it happen all over again. the second big one smashed the 1.4m turtle tank and had 400+ litres dump onto the lounge floor. good thing we already have a wooden floor after having to rip up the carpet in feb ha. most importantly though, no injuries and fatalities.

Was up till 3am cleaning up. Big 5ft tank in garage which now has all the fish in it spilt plenty of water....didnt find any fish on the floor, but also too busy to look too hard as water was right through everything at back of garage. Have now halved the water and also halved water in the 6ft in my lounge as those two created the most mess. 56 turtles here at the moment, so lots of tanks to check...some had slid on bases.... basking ramps and lights fallen but not broken..Water in cupboards under tanks and behind tanks/stands...again.... I'm leaving town today. Heading to Marlborough Sounds. Back on Friday, so no idea what will happen if another big one hits. Too hard to think about really.

Have set up ponds on driveway for turtle refugees if some arrive or tanks break in the house. Neighbours brick shed wall collapsed into other neighbours property. Hole in road outside my place has sunk a little more...was just filled with shingle after sewer collapsed...I guess they will refill if it sinks too much more.

Had my new tank cycling all of about 2 days and nowwww i am holding out at this stage(again) to set it up (again) just in case! i was working at work and income in Kaiapoi and as soon as it hit we shut up. and it took 20 mins to get outta the car park. we were in the middle of moving stuff back to our new Amberley house so we kinda hurried that up. and i also don't have a computer after it fell off the table :(

:cry: My tanks crashed in the second one. I had to rumage through glass shards picking up tiny juvie fighters and drop them into the dogs water bowl. And to top it off, power went out too..found them all though :thup:

My last two tiny tanks that they are in are now strapped and braced to every possible thing and so is the cabinet. It will have be a tough earthquake to get them off.

:cry: My tanks crashed in the second one. I had to rumage through glass shards picking up tiny juvie fighters and drop them into the dogs water bowl. And to top it off, power went out too..found them all though :thup:

My last two tiny tanks that they are in are now strapped and braced to every possible thing and so is the cabinet. It will have be a tough earthquake to get them off.

I have a number of empty tanks in my room and spare tanks if u need them heaters and filters as well

Nav