5.8 shake Christchurch

alanmin4304

If you head into Blenheim Donna, give us a call and come for a visit :wink:

Would have loved to Caryl, but was reliant on others for transport so a bit restricted. I did manage to have someone meet me at the Blenheim airport with a bag full of guppy feeders tonight :wink: They are happily swimming around in the big tank in my garage now :happy2: I had BEAUTIFUL weather to start with and loved being away from quakes and work for a few days! Already had 1 small quake since getting home tonight...just to remind me what its like. :roll: But I had time to dream and scheme about removing the garden from my conservatory and creating several joined ponds in there so there's less glass tanks around the place....mmmm.....next turtle project....

funnily enough i've been thinking along the same lines since losing the big turtle tank. thinking about just making a bigger pond for in the sunroom with an aquaponics grow bed in the sunniest window. a decent sized lined wooden one like i have outside (which is where gordon is now since i moved the fish into a tank to make room for him) but maybe with a glass front to it, still got a couple of 1.4m long pieces from the tank that broke. though sealing glass into a lined wooden pond is something i haven't done before.

if you do something like that donna i'd be more than happy to help set it up etc if you want a hand.

funnily enough i've been thinking along the same lines since losing the big turtle tank. thinking about just making a bigger pond for in the sunroom with an aquaponics grow bed in the sunniest window. a decent sized lined wooden one like i have outside (which is where gordon is now since i moved the fish into a tank to make room for him) but maybe with a glass front to it, still got a couple of 1.4m long pieces from the tank that broke. though sealing glass into a lined wooden pond is something i haven't done before.

if you do something like that donna i'd be more than happy to help set it up etc if you want a hand.

:happy2: :happy2: Cool! Will be in touch...in the meantime new turtle is another 'meatpie' turtle :sick: You can feel the movement of limbs and possibly heartbeat through your fingers when he's resting on your hand...like his plastron is tissue paper! Earthquake possibly saved his life...at least he made it here for some good food and sunshine!

Had a couple over 5 this morning but no damage here. Just a bit sick of them. Best part is that EQC sent Emails and phone calls saying that if we got all the info re claims in by October 28 we would be paid out by Xmas. We had no damage to speak of in September but heaps in February. Made a list of damaged items (3 A4 pages and a dvd of pictures) and sent it in before due date. Rang EQC a couple of days before Xmas and they have no record of us sending the info. The saga continues.

and they have no record of us sending the info. The saga continues.

Sounds all too familiar I'm afraid. A mate of mine was told that his claim for TV, computer etc had been approved so he threw away the damaged items. Now EQC have lost the claim and my mate has to present the items and get quotes to repair them again, which is now impossible.

That is our problem as well. You wonder if there is an accountant there whose job it is to save money by destroying the evidence. Their other trick is to make lots of claims. We have 6 claim numbers that they have given us even though we have only claimed for the house and contents for February. Every other claim means you have to pay the first $200. We are still discussing that issue and at the moment it is still polite. This may well change if they insist on being stupid about it. I know a number of people who are really getting a hard time from the wee darlins---you would think the shakes would be enough. I am convinced a lot of this is stalling tactics until the shakes stop (which we are told could be 4 years). The problem will be that by the time they decide to start rebuilding all the tradespeople will have gone to Australia looking for work.

The Australian lady who came and did my house assessment told me to make 3 copies of everything, never to send in an original quote/receipt, put your claim number on every piece of paper, photo etc, write a cover letter stating what you have sent them and to treat them like simple people who need LOTS of explanations...... :roll: She was very helpful! :thup:

LOL Donna,

That is how you have to treat Australians so she is used to explaining everything 3 or 4 times.

Makes sense I suppose

Me I am awaiting my 5th assessment before the Fletchers manager signs off on the scope of works for a 3rd time so the builder who has been waiting for 5 months and been here twice already can actually start work.

Meantime my roof leaked again today with this rain and I have a large pool of water running off my pink batts and onto my hall wall and floor...yah...and still no floor in 2 rooms.

Still one winter with no floor and Holy walls is ok it is sleeping on a matteress on teh floor and living out of a suitcase that sh@ts me casue I was told to pack all my stuff and put in storage so builder could start in March 11.

Hope it gets done before winter this year as last winter was LONG and I need flatmates to help pay mortage

Lucky me

LOL Donna,

That is how you have to treat Australians so she is used to explaining everything 3 or 4 times.

Makes sense I suppose

Me I am awaiting my 5th assessment before the Fletchers manager signs off on the scope of works for a 3rd time so the builder who has been waiting for 5 months and been here twice already can actually start work.

Meantime my roof leaked again today with this rain and I have a large pool of water running off my pink batts and onto my hall wall and floor...yah...and still no floor in 2 rooms.

Still one winter with no floor and Holy walls is ok it is sleeping on a matteress on teh floor and living out of a suitcase that sh@ts me casue I was told to pack all my stuff and put in storage so builder could start in March 11.

Hope it gets done before winter this year as last winter was LONG and I need flatmates to help pay mortage

Lucky me

:tears: Not a good life! But unfortunately its very typical of many peoples circumstances :nilly: