Joe's 140L Amazon Blackwater Biotope Journal

Joe

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys but this project is going to be terminated because I need to get on to breeding the Green Neons because they need to be bred when they're quite young.

I can always come back to the trifasciata, and if I sell the agassizii then I'll have room in the main tank to breed the tri's.

Well change of plans, the fish are staying in the 140L. And because there's no fry left I've moved the male and the other female back in too :D

I have also put the other Ehiem 2213 onto this tank since I've only got 6 fish left in the other tank, and the Green Neons and Reed Tetras are loving all of the extra flow!

I'm getting two new breeding tanks, so this is going to become my main tank. I'm going to plant it with Indian fern but it will still have all the tannins and I will still put oak leaves in. I might need to add more substrate if I am going to grow plants though because it isn't very deep. I might also grow some Echinodorus and some Java fern and Crypts but I'm not sure yet.

Once I get the new tanks and some live food cultures and other bits 'n bobs I will attempt to breed the Neons. Also the breeding tanks will be ideal for the trifasciata because once I've finished with the Neons, I can put a female in each tank and put the male in with one female, and then do the same with the next female, and then the male can got back in the 140L. Then I can have two lots of trifasciata fry going at the same time :P

I used to leave mine till they broke down into little bits. If they don't get disturbed they can stay intact for a few months. I used to float a new one on the top every now and again and then there was a continual sinking of new ones over old ones.

Mine bred in my community tank. I have a very small piece of driftwood (more like twigs) in there and a coconut cave, no tannin staining of my water. I haven't checked the pH recently but guessing its around the 6.8 ish mark.

So, no I don't think tannins are absolutely necessary if all you want to do is breed them rather than have a biotype arrangement.

Tannins and soft water are not necessary for trifasciata to breed. Soft water is necessary for fish like A. agassizii and macmasteri. And you don't need tannins to have soft water either. One of my two pairs of trifasciata that I bought last year when they were imported again spawned in water with a pH of around 8 :o I didn't even realize that this had happened. I saw a cloud of about 30 fry swimming around one day, gaurded by the two parents. And this was in a community tank with other Apistos and fish.

There aren't any South American plants that you can use leaves off that are available in NZ to my knowledge. I don't even know the names of the plants that grow in South America, and I highly doubt that any could be grown in NZ because they are rainforest plants. And biosecurity wouldn't even allow them into NZ anyway.