What Tetra?

si_sphinx

Anyone have any ideas on what sort of tetra I should school in my planted tank?

I want something with a bright colour.

Not Neons or cardinals. Everyone has them, I want something different.

I quite like the bright copper colour of silver tip tetras.

Do lemon tetras have a bright yellow to them or are they dull?

What other tetras should I consider?

And is it possible to school two differnt types of tetras or do they just all mix together in a single shoal in one tank?

If it doesn't have to be tetras maybe galaxy Rasbora's or lambchops? Golden barbs work well as well. Unless you do want tetras.

In which case, glowlights, rummy noses have about 20 of these swimming round, they go a real bright red. But I do need more of them :( Ember tetras could work. Not sure about the lemon tetra's though.

The 6 glowlights in my tank seem to school with the rummy noses half the time, then the other time they go off and do there own thing. The lone rasbora seems to stay away from everyone. Usually they different types school together, but it would be hard to tell until you actually have them swimming round in your tank.

Try the ruby eyed tetras I think they are called. HFF had them a while back, not sure if they still have them in stock. Really cool fish, their eyes glow blue lol, but you need a slightly darker background for it to really stand out.

I i remember those they were Awesome! but i don't think they will stand out as much as others such as Rasbora's or Embers.

And is it possible to school two differnt types of tetras or do they just all mix together in a single shoal in one tank?

I'm no expert, however I have 10 Black Neon tetras and 10 Glolight Tetras. From observing them in my tank they pretty much snob each other and stay in their own schools... occasionally they make a super school, but even within that they are still pretty much in seperate groups.

Only time they truely mix up is during feeding time.... then's its all on all :)

I know you said not neons in your above post.... but what about Black Neons? I find them to be a cool looking fishing and they aren't a dime a dozen like the traditional blue ones.

I'm no expert, however I have 10 Black Neon tetras and 10 Glolight Tetras. From observing them in my tank they pretty much snob each other and stay in their own schools... occasionally they make a super school, but even within that they are still pretty much in seperate groups.

Only time they truely mix up is during feeding time.... then's its all on all :)

I know you said not neons in your above post.... but what about Black Neons? I find them to be a cool looking fishing and they aren't a dime a dozen like the traditional blue ones.

BlackNeonTetraWFCh_C1109.jpg

They don't have much colour but I like them. If I did choose them I would want another colourful type to make up for the lack of colour. Providing they schooled separately.

ok so What I've got to pick from so far...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQR5Re0gVWwBUBJXk0MFwySGBiHrFzT8GqFTWm6V23VFTy6AvAlvA

2150_04_09_08_6_54_53.jpg

250px-Kobbertetra_Hasemania_nana.jpg

I do like the Silver tip tetras but from what I remember from when I had some, they are very aggressive towards eachother. Mayby they wouldn't be so bad in a group of 40+???

What I am after is something that schools nicely.