non goldfish coldwater fish

southern man

Cold water up North will surely be different to cold water down in the South. I have been meaning to try acclimatize some barbs but I have a feeling they wouldn't survive in my cold water.

Yeah, I've had pearl gouramis, tetras, cories, bristlenoses, plecos, SA cichlids etc all living at 16° or cooler for a few weeks with no harm. They can all handle relatively cool for a while if cooled off slowly. But I wouldn't call it a good idea especially for a long time and outside over winter is likely to get much colder than that.

I thought the only coldwater fish were goldfish and minnows and wild guppies....

This is the opposite to what you're talking about, but I had my goldfish (fantail) in my tank set on 25C for weeks and weeks and he/she seemed perfectly happy... just moved it out into the pond the other day and now it hardly swims around... spends most of the time inside the barrel ornament. I feel bad now.. am feeling like moving it back into the tank. :cry: But my tank is only a 64L. My minnows that I moved into my smaller tank are also not swimming around that much... poor fishies :(

Although Guppies will survive in cooler temps I have noticed they are very slow growing and as pointed out in reality they are tropical. Weather loaches 22Degrees? Hillstream loach 23? Bluefin Killyfish 20? Barredtail pearlfish21? Blackfin pearl Killyfish 20?

• 2 months later...

i've kept golden and brown algae eaters in cold water and had them grow from 3-4cm to 12cm in under a year.

you should really look into nz native fish. they need very cold water. in auckland it's extremely difficult to keep the water cold enough for them during summer....

but there is a big selection and all nz natives are beautiful and fascinating fish! not only that but they are free to take from the wild (most of them)

as always, do some research if you do decide on nz natives. search stella's posts.

• 11 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The trouble is your definition of cold. Sure they can survive in cooler water but prefer it warmer. A "coldwater" tank in a modern, insulated house will be a lot warmer than a "coldwater" tank in an uninsulated house, or outdoors.