Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

DIY Flourite

Featured Replies

And he said, "Let there be light", and there was light.

And he said unto the people, "Looks like you'll be showering for the rest of the week"

tf24.jpg

Now that's doing it right.:)

  • Replies 86
  • Views 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

Ha ha. Funnily enough, I used to do IT work for an energy company, and the enforcement team did find a few hydroponic set-ups during the three years I was there - usually when the tenants messed with the meters and indicated power usage dropped significantly :facepalm: I was always surprised none of those amateur electrical engineers fried themselves.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

I've tried a few different hardscapes, and this is the best so far. What do you guys reckon - any ideas on layout and plants? :dunno: Still looking for that perfect bit of wood :roll: This is 450 litres, minus the hardscape of course.

Thinking of java fern along the long bit of wood in the background, xmas moss and java fern on the big bit, and dwarf chain swords and glosso for carpeting. Probably some star grass back left, too. Crypts on the slope between the rocks.

hs1.jpg

Ditto, minus the long bit of wood. Maybe stargrass along the rear

hs2.jpg

Iwagumi-ish. Just carpet with dcs and glosso. Not sure what else.

hs3.jpg

Different bit of wood. Xmas moss on the branches will hide the sawn ends. Maybe some java fern on the trunk to fill the rear-top-right corner.

Probably some star grass back left, too. Crypts on the slope between the rocks.

hs4.jpg

Same, with some roots added to the branches. Xmas moss on the roots, too.

hs5.jpg

Good work.

I vote for the first bit of wood.

What about embedding it in the hill you've got?

The long bit, can it stand on end and look like a bit of a 'stump'?

I don't like any of them :digH:

IMO you should slope the substrate slighty from the front to the back and not have any big mound thingies, and position the wood and rocks in a non-dramatic fashion and cover the wood with Java fern.

Also I don't really like the whole cave thing that you've got going on there. Looks very African-cichlidy.

I think the whole thing would look better without the rock on the LHS.

If you're planting the tank, don't worry about what the tank looks like before you plant it - change and move things around as the plants grow naturally. The tank will so to speak 'evolve' more naturally.

  • Author

But that's my favourite rock! :tears: Hmm, back to the drawing board...

I think the whole thing would look better without the rock on the LHS.
If you're planting the tank, don't worry about what the tank looks like before you plant it - change and move things around as the plants grow naturally. The tank will so to speak 'evolve' more naturally.

I disagree, I think the hardscape's just as important as the plants. I just can't find the right bit of wood to go with the (foggy) concept I have in me old noggin :-?

Yeah hardscape is pretty important. I have seen photos of tanks with really good hardscape and it does make a positive difference to the appearence of the tank.

  • Author

OK, how about this then? Just a basic layout, and I still need to add a long bit of wood along the back so I can fill it in with java fern.

I'm starting to get analysis paralysis, and I'll have to just go for it soon. Aquascaping is hard!

tf30.jpg

  • 1 year later...
  • Author

Yep, it's worked out well. It does tend to level out a bit over time - I've got a few dwarf chain loaches - but that's the only negative. Plants seem to like it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.