April 9, 201214 yr comment_479938 And he said, "Let there be light", and there was light. And he said unto the people, "Looks like you'll be showering for the rest of the week" Now that's doing it right. Report
April 10, 201214 yr comment_479953 LOL or they think you're growing something else in your bathroom with those lights on at odd hours of the day! :sml1: Report
April 11, 201214 yr Author comment_480142 Ha ha. Funnily enough, I used to do IT work for an energy company, and the enforcement team did find a few hydroponic set-ups during the three years I was there - usually when the tenants messed with the meters and indicated power usage dropped significantly :facepalm: I was always surprised none of those amateur electrical engineers fried themselves. Report
April 12, 201214 yr comment_480230 Last I heard 3 x 40l bags left. Just confirming pricing now Report
April 12, 201214 yr comment_480341 Still keen as mustard if any of this stuff is available. That looks like a wicked haul of plants by-the-way! Report
April 13, 201214 yr comment_480378 40 ltr bags are $75 each or $100 including delivery anywhere in NI Spoke to him yesturday and he has 3 at the moment. Report
April 24, 201214 yr Author comment_481524 I've tried a few different hardscapes, and this is the best so far. What do you guys reckon - any ideas on layout and plants? :dunno: Still looking for that perfect bit of wood :roll: This is 450 litres, minus the hardscape of course. Thinking of java fern along the long bit of wood in the background, xmas moss and java fern on the big bit, and dwarf chain swords and glosso for carpeting. Probably some star grass back left, too. Crypts on the slope between the rocks. Ditto, minus the long bit of wood. Maybe stargrass along the rear Iwagumi-ish. Just carpet with dcs and glosso. Not sure what else. Different bit of wood. Xmas moss on the branches will hide the sawn ends. Maybe some java fern on the trunk to fill the rear-top-right corner. Probably some star grass back left, too. Crypts on the slope between the rocks. Same, with some roots added to the branches. Xmas moss on the roots, too. Report
April 24, 201214 yr comment_481528 Good work. I vote for the first bit of wood. What about embedding it in the hill you've got? The long bit, can it stand on end and look like a bit of a 'stump'? Report
April 24, 201214 yr comment_481580 I don't like any of them :digH: IMO you should slope the substrate slighty from the front to the back and not have any big mound thingies, and position the wood and rocks in a non-dramatic fashion and cover the wood with Java fern. Also I don't really like the whole cave thing that you've got going on there. Looks very African-cichlidy. Report
April 25, 201214 yr comment_481612 I think the whole thing would look better without the rock on the LHS. If you're planting the tank, don't worry about what the tank looks like before you plant it - change and move things around as the plants grow naturally. The tank will so to speak 'evolve' more naturally. Report
April 25, 201214 yr comment_481729 Again, #1 but ditch the big, out-of-place rock on the left. Report
May 1, 201214 yr Author comment_482425 But that's my favourite rock! :tears: Hmm, back to the drawing board... I think the whole thing would look better without the rock on the LHS.If you're planting the tank, don't worry about what the tank looks like before you plant it - change and move things around as the plants grow naturally. The tank will so to speak 'evolve' more naturally. I disagree, I think the hardscape's just as important as the plants. I just can't find the right bit of wood to go with the (foggy) concept I have in me old noggin :-? Report
May 1, 201214 yr comment_482427 Yeah hardscape is pretty important. I have seen photos of tanks with really good hardscape and it does make a positive difference to the appearence of the tank. Report
May 3, 201214 yr Author comment_482589 OK, how about this then? Just a basic layout, and I still need to add a long bit of wood along the back so I can fill it in with java fern. I'm starting to get analysis paralysis, and I'll have to just go for it soon. Aquascaping is hard! Report
May 4, 201214 yr comment_482610 I like this one :thup: Me too.. but with the rock on the left laid down flat perhaps.. looks unreal standing up Report
May 4, 201214 yr comment_482682 Me too.. but with the rock on the left laid down flat perhaps.. looks unreal standing up I still prefer this, but maybe the rock would look better laid flat Report
June 17, 201313 yr comment_531103 :digH: Are you still using turface? Is it still working good after all this time? Report
June 17, 201313 yr Author comment_531129 Yep, it's worked out well. It does tend to level out a bit over time - I've got a few dwarf chain loaches - but that's the only negative. Plants seem to like it. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.