Question about guppies

aquariumbeginner32

I have guppies that I was told are coldwater guppies. They seem to be doing fine. I've noticed that a couple seem to be attracted to each other. It's like they dance together and kiss lol and rub sides. I have no idea what fish do when they mate. Is this it? If so, how long before I have babies in my tank? :o :lol:

Josh mine are quite different. They are like the ones in this YouTube video. I think they might be Endlers livebearers/Endlers guppies. They are wild guppies. They have pink, blue, yellow colorings. One is just yellow. And about half have a spot on them. :love:

yours will not be endlers guppies, true endlers guppies are sooo rare now because most have been crossed with guppies, but your guppies will just be the wild type( they are usually what happens if you dont line breed or keep your strain true) :roll: :wink:

They look just like Endlers. Though their colorings are blue, pink, yellow. They could be hybrids - Endlers x Guppy? Whatever they are, I don't think the water is 18+ celsius so they are doing well in the cold water.

I'll have to get a better photo of them. About 3-4 out of the 5 have swords (their tails) ... they don't have the fancy guppy kind of tail. Only the yellow one has a fancy guppy like tail but it's nowhere near as big as a fancy guppies tail.

Two of them (I have 5) have spots... but I don't know if they are gravid spots. Just one on each fish near their eyes... about 3mm away. Not at their other end. The one I thought was female is the biggest of the lot and the yellow one that rubs against him/her is only about half the size. Neither of them have spots. So if they are both males I have no idea why they're acting towards each other the way they are.... :-? :dunno: Maybe they are gay ? :lol: :o

Gravid spots are further down :)

I like howick. Pretty alright area.

I know people that have kept tropical platies and guppies outside with no issues.

I remember when you could also get coldwater livebearers, cory and algae eaters. That was only 5-6 years ago

Ok so they're not gravid spots. I assumed the big one must be female. It's the biggest of the lot. The rest are all about half the size and they're all about the same size.

I just wish I could find out what they are called. It will drive me crazy.... :lol: I want the scientific name! :lol:

True cold water species will live way below 18C. Many "tropicals" will cope in a well insulated house, especially up north, where temps do not drop much below 18C. This does not make them a cold water species, no matter what the shops call them. :roll:

There is a difference between "cold" and "unheated".