Question about guppies

aquariumbeginner32

Cute fish :D look like wild types to me. You don't have any females in those pics. Everytime I've looked at the "coldwater guppies" at animates I've never seen any females so I'm not sure if they actually stock them :dunno:

Yeah the lady who got the fish out for me did say it looked like they were all males and she didn't think they had any females. Kind of a shame... would have liked to see babies! But it's probably for the best at this stage.

Hence the reason stores don't call them coldwater anymore :roll:

In theory, those guppies and platies I mentioned earlier should be dead

Lets not even bother asking kiwiplymouth how his cories in his pond are doing :lol:

I must have good fish then lol I was thinking of putting a heater in there on 20C but would the minnows be ok still?

they do look like wildtype guppies. I have some at the moment that I'm selling as I only keep tuxedos.

I took out two wild type males and put them in a small tank together and one was definitely showing off to the other, the way they would with a female. Sometimes they mistake the dark spot in wildtypes as a gravid spot. Guppys are so frisky lol.

they do look like wildtype guppies. I have some at the moment that I'm selling as I only keep tuxedos.

I took out two wild type males and put them in a small tank together and one was definitely showing off to the other, the way they would with a female. Sometimes they mistake the dark spot in wildtypes as a gravid spot. Guppys are so frisky lol.

That may explain it... the biggest one has two dark blue areas on it that could be mistaken for gravid spots I suppose. :)

I may have to get myself a heater... I asked the lady at Animates how to tell the difference between males and females and she showed me with the tropical guppies. They are sooo beautiful! Hard to resist!

If you wanted to move to tropicals you could alwaays sell the minnows in the private trade & exchange or animates might exchange them for store credit :)

I don't think I could. :( I would feel bad. I only got 5 of them on Monday. Before that I just had 1.

Not the end of the world! :) One day I will get another tank. :lol:

What if I wanted to have the heater at a heat suitable for fancy guppies? Would the minnows and wild guppies be ok?

There is probably no reason why you couldn't do both the minnows and guppies at 22-23C and they would both be fine, I have had minnows in tropical tanks before just crank the heater up slowly or acclimatise them really well..

Fair enough, I'd be the same, I get very attached to my fish :lol: You should keep an eye out for an Aqua One AR380 on trademe, it would make a great little tank for some minnows and you can get them second hand for around $80 :D They're 34L and include a light and filter too. I have 2 that I use for guppies. Great little tanks!

Thanks for that. I'll keep an eye out. My 64L was only $80 but it doesn't have a light and didn't come with a filter lol It was just the glass tank with lid.

I know what you're talking about. They are neat little tanks with the filter and light inc. So all I would have to get is the heater. :D

A 64L plain glass tank should only cost you about $40 :o You should take a drive out to Hollywood Fish Farm, much cheaper than animates and they have so much variety! Well worth the drive! :thup:

Yeah I have been told HFF is cheaper. I hinted to my hubby to go there on Monday but he didn't want to. :(